Ribbon Roses Help!!!!

Decorating By apetricek Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 10:10pm by juststarted

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:35am
post #1 of 8

Hi there for all of you that have made these roses in the past....wondering what is the best way to make these, and if I should use fondant or gumpaste. I normally make roses out of gumpaste, but my customer wants a more whimsical rose, so thought the ribbon rose would great. Any tips, ideas would be great and appreciated!!!! THanks!

7 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:50am
post #2 of 8

I would also like to know. I've only made them once, and it was with Michelle Foster's fondant.
LL

Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 8

I use fondant only. Roll out a strip of fondant, fold in half. I usually fold over the end that I start with so that it has a nice center that is turned in. Then just start wrapping it around and around. Depending on the look you are going for, you can pinch in the bottoms so that the roses are more opened.

Hope that helps.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 8

I find that if you do them a little looser, they look better. The way I make them is to roll a small length loosely around, then press that into the layer your adding onto, roll a little more, loosely, then press, keep repeating. This gives the whimsical look while still giving the vague impression of individual petals. See the picture below for an example (not mine, just a pic I found in a google search)
LL

apetricek Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 8

thanks guys love these...especially like the cream one...I guess I will just have to practice and see what works best...it is for a christening cake so they would work perfect...thanks for all your help...I guess this will be a try and see project...thanks!

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 8

If you go to http://www.rolledfondant.com/how.htm and click on Colette Peters | Ribbon Rose, you will find a nice tutorial on this. As you liked that cream rose artscallion posted, it shows exactly how to get that. Personally I did not like the texture on the rose in this video, but I think overall it looks great.

apetricek Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 8

THANK YOU THANK YOU juststarted...that is a great site....I looked at some of the other info too...thanks, I am going to try some of these today...since we are getting snowed in...thanks again! AMY

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 8

oh you are so sweet, you're welcome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%