Cut N Crop...cricut Cake

Decorating By buttercuppie Updated 27 Feb 2010 , 3:09am by craftybarb

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:39am
post #1 of 18

So I know that they have it for preorder at a great price. 2 questions though:

1 - Does anyone know when they charge your card...when the machine comes in or immediately when you order?

2 - Has anyone preordered/ordered anything through them before...if so, how was your expierence (just checking out their service since it's a small company and it's a large ticket item.)

Thanks!!!

17 replies
cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:02am
post #2 of 18

My card was charged right away. I paid through PayPal-figured then I would have both PayPal and the Credit Card company as options to help me recoup my money if anything goes bad.

I did try to research the company, as I do all major online purchases. Didn't find anything on them with the BBB or in just general searching. I did find a thread for scrapbooking where they were being discussed-people had ordered cartridges from them before and said they always check there first since they have such good prices. Then I decided it should be safe-if not, hopefully PayPal and/or my credit card company will save me!

cs_confections Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:33am
post #3 of 18

What a co-ink-i-dinkicon_smile.gif Just received an email from them. Here's a clip:

"Thank you for your recent pre-order at CutnCrop.com. We just want to communicate the shipping status of our current pre-order items.

Cricut Cake -- Provo Craft told us today that they are still on schedule for a May 1st ship date to ensure it is on our "shelves' before Mothers' Day."

I'm so excitedicon_smile.gif

buttercuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercuppie Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:38am
post #4 of 18

Thanks!!! Considering my birthday falls on Mother's Day this year - It'll be a nice present icon_biggrin.gif

Now...to see if I happen to have $300 lying around the house...hmm...maybe the change bucket...LOL!

Thanks again!

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:59am
post #5 of 18

Sorry for being so 'out of the loop' but why is this better than just getting the Expressions?

cs_confections Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:05am
post #6 of 18

It's food safe, the blades and mats (which I think don't have the sticky stuff you have to address with the others) are dishwasher safe, it's water resistant so it can be cleaned and it comes with a cartridge that may not be offered individually. The place listed in the title has an awesome deal that makes it about $306 (shipping included) if it's preordered. While you can find the Expression for a little less, you would still have to buy the deep cutting blade...

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:09am
post #7 of 18

Thanks.....are the cartridges interchangeable? And wouldn't they sell the mats separately?

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:10am
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

Sorry for being so 'out of the loop' but why is this better than just getting the Expressions?

Would this cake one be better? I have a brand new Cricut Expressions that I used once to cut chocolate transfer sheets, didn't work so well for that but I may have not had the blade set right. If the cake Cricut would be better I guess I would have to sell my other one, any thoughts girls/guys?

cs_confections Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:16am
post #9 of 18

From what I've read, any of the cricut cartridges can be used with any Cricut-but they now make special edition cartridges that are only release with certain machines and then are sold for as much as the machine on eBay, later. Yes, you can buy more mats-the site listed above has mats for the cake cricut that can be purchased to have addtional. From what I understand about the original mats, they have sticky stuff on them that must be removed or covered somehow to use them for cake.

As far as being easier, I honestly don't know. Maybe it's a little stronger, but I don't know. I think the main element is that it's deemed food safe and the blades and mats are dishwasher safe. They are making their own fondant/gumpaste to be used with the machine, too. Don't know what that will run, though.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:23am
post #10 of 18

If you ask me, I think the Cake Cricut is just a marketing gimmick. ALL the techniques have been developed using the Expressions. Heck go to Joann's this week, buy the Personal for $85and then SCAL for $75 and you're all set.

DreamMaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamMaker2 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:45am
post #11 of 18

I agree with Leah - I have the Expressions model, but only 3 cartridges. The darned things are expensive. I've recently done a lot of research on the SCAL (Sure Cuts A Lot) software. From what I see - the possibilities are endless - and it's only $75. No need to buy all those $69 cartridges!!! My husband does a lot of graphic design ( and is a computer wizzard) - He says he doesn't see any reason why the SCAL won't do the trick!

If I find any information on making the Expressions (or other models) cut "better", I'll be sure to post the information for you gals.

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:57am
post #12 of 18

I emailed PC to see if the Cake blades and mats could be used on the Expression and was told that they could not. I then suggested that maybe they should offer a trade up promotion for those who want to use theri food safe products for cake decorating. We will see how that goes over.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:09am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCakes

I emailed PC to see if the Cake blades and mats could be used on the Expression and was told that they could not. I then suggested that maybe they should offer a trade up promotion for those who want to use theri food safe products for cake decorating. We will see how that goes over.

Thts a good idea thumbs_up.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 11:25am
post #14 of 18

I find it hard to believe that the mats are not interchangeable. It is the same exact machine, just produced for cakes so it is food safe. I agree with Leah, it is a marketing gimick. Those that have the expression, don't fall prey and get rid of your machines. Just wait, I bet shortly after it comes out, you will be able to buy the cake cartridge seperately and I bet you can buy the cake mat and use it in your expression.

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:57am
post #15 of 18

I think I want this new one but I have a brand new Cricut Expressions that I used once to cut chocolate transfer sheets. I would have to unload that first. Any takers?

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 2:15am
post #16 of 18

I haven't heard anything from PC about my trade up program. I guess they want us to buy [i]ANOTHER machine at a ridiculous price.

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 2:52am
post #17 of 18

We opted for the more expensive Cricut Cake solely because using most devices in a way other than it is intended will generally void the warranty and we wanted to be covered in case something went wrong. Sure they may not know you were using your busted expression for gumpaste but if they found traces of it inside the machine somewhere it might be enough for them to deny any warranty claims.

craftybarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybarb Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:09am
post #18 of 18

I went to micheal's and bought the personnal on sale 84.00 and I have the expression but don't want to use it for cakes. I think it will do the same thing and I also believe that the mats will work in it maybe not the cutters but alot of people have been using these machines before they came out with the cake one so I say go cheap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%