Cruicut Personal Cutters On Sale At Joann's

Decorating By taria Updated 7 Mar 2010 , 7:45pm by Rosie2

taria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taria Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 32

The Cricut personal cutter is on sale at Joann's for $84.99. See the link below.

http://www.joann.com/joann/home/home.jsp

Just thought I'd share icon_biggrin.gif

31 replies
Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by taria

The Cricut personal cutter is on sale at Joann's for $84.99. See the link below.

http://www.joann.com/joann/home/home.jsp

Just thought I'd share icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you, do you have one? do you know if it cuts small print? for example to cut small gumpaste letters for cookies...I've always wonder if the can do small cuts...

xmstazx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xmstazx Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 32

I just bought mine!!! YEAH

Rosie2 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmstazx

I just bought mine!!! YEAH

did you buy the personal?? please tell me if it cuts small print, ok?

taria Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 12:46pm
post #5 of 32

It cuts as small as 1". I have to keep playing around with mine to get it to cut fondant/gumpaste the way it want it to. My first few trial runs have been stinky icon_cool.gif , but the Cricut is still giving me promising results. I can't wait to work out my "Cricut Strategy" thumbs_up.gif

Rosie2 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:14pm
post #6 of 32

Thank you for your resposne Taria....hmmm, I wish it'd cut 1/2inch since I like to do cookies and for the average cookie 1inch letters would be too big...I think icon_smile.gif

taria Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:18pm
post #7 of 32

The Cricut Create is the same size as the original Cricut, but it cuts as small as 1/4". Check out the link below. If that doesn't work, just do a google search.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Cricut-Create-Personal-Electronic-Cutter/10983293?wmlspartner=GPA&sourceid=44444444440088920076#ProductDetail

Rosie2 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 32
Quote:

The Cricut Create is the same size as the original Cricut, but it cuts as small as 1/4". Check out the link below. If that doesn't work, just do a google search.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Cricut-Create-Personal-Electronic-Cutter/10983293?wmlspartner=GPA&sourceid=44444444440088920076#ProductDetail

You're right!!! is this the same one that Joannes has on sale???? if so, I want it!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks a million Taria!!!

taria Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:59pm
post #9 of 32

No, unfortunately, it's not the same one. I thought it was when I bought my Cricut, but found out that they were different. Go to the manufacturer's website to see the actual differences in the machines.

http://www.cricut.com/shopping/productList.aspx?sc=1

sweetlorraine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlorraine Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:03pm
post #10 of 32

Have you all seen the new machine that's coming out in May???? It's just for cake people! Go to their website to see it. I'm so excited I could hardly sleep the other night when I found out about it!!!!!!!

taria Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:17pm
post #11 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlorraine

Have you all seen the new machine that's coming out in May???? It's just for cake people! Go to their website to see it. I'm so excited I could hardly sleep the other night when I found out about it!!!!!!!

I know!! I just know it's gonna be $400 when it comes out though icon_redface.gif I don't do enough cake business to justify the expense. Maybe I could ask for it for my birthday. Hmmmm icon_lol.gif

sweetlorraine Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 9:24pm
post #12 of 32

So it's coming out around Mother's Day - - I'm going to see if combining that with my March b-day will work on the hubby!

Rosie2 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:25pm
post #13 of 32
Quote:

I'm so excited I could hardly sleep the other night when I found out about it!!!!!!!

icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif I know exactly what you mean icon_smile.gif
So the new machine will be only for cake stuff or you can also use it for paper? sounds great!!! ahhhh so, hard to hold myself since I don't have a hubby and the kids are grown. This month I've already exceded my limit a since Debbie Brown is in my town (yes Debbie Brown!!!! thumbs_up.gif ) so I almost sign up for ALL her classes but I was strong and told myself---Rosie, it's just a hobby!!---so, I signed up for only one for $350... icon_biggrin.gif otherwise all her classes would had been $1800....expensive hobby, huh?

Ok, headed to Joannes to check out the Cricut on sale hi,hi icon_wink.gif

sweetlorraine Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:34am
post #14 of 32

Hey Rosie! I'm in Woodinville! So, I'm guessing you frequent Dawn's? Me too! I'm going to the Cinderella Carriage class next week (hopefully) - will you be there?

Rosie2 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 8:46pm
post #15 of 32
Quote:

Hey Rosie! I'm in Woodinville! So, I'm guessing you frequent Dawn's? Me too! I'm going to the Cinderella Carriage class next week (hopefully) - will you be there?

Sweetlorraine, you're almost my neighboor!!! and I do frequent Dawns often (I was there last night) and gosh I wish I would had sign up for everything that Debbie is teaching but noooo icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif I only sign up for the castle class....but I really (really!) wanted to do the cinderella carriage class too...don't you think the carriage goes with the castle??? ahhhh, how tempting!!
I'm glad I found a neighboor please keep in touch!! icon_smile.gif

sandi817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandi817 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 9:03pm
post #16 of 32

has anybody ever made stencils for cookies or cakes using a cricut or pazzles cutting machine?

sweetlorraine Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 4:21am
post #17 of 32

Hi Rosie - Wow - I can't believe the luck - I just got a call from my friend today that was going to fly in from Utah to go to the Cinderella Carriage class with me, and she can't come! I've been so worried about spending the money for it too, so I guess that means that if you want to, there are now 2 spots available - check with Dawn to make sure - I left her a voicemail today, and will email her in a minute, but I don't know if she's checking her messages.

Anyway - what class are you taking? I think I'd like to go on Monday, since it's cheaper for that one. But I don't know if there are any spots available.

Rosie2 Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 9:03am
post #18 of 32
Quote:

Hi Rosie - Wow - I can't believe the luck - I just got a call from my friend today that was going to fly in from Utah to go to the Cinderella Carriage class with me, and she can't come! I've been so worried about spending the money for it too, so I guess that means that if you want to, there are now 2 spots available - check with Dawn to make sure - I left her a voicemail today, and will email her in a minute, but I don't know if she's checking her messages.

Anyway - what class are you taking? I think I'd like to go on Monday, since it's cheaper for that one. But I don't know if there are any spots available.

Hi Sweetlorraine, thank you but I've already signed up for the castle class which will be tomorrow and Sunday. So, good luck in your class this Monday...I think that any class you take with Debbie will be awesome, good luck!!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 1:19am
post #19 of 32

just got the small cricut today at joanne's. they had alot of them still there. sale is on through this week.
now i just gotta figure out how to use it!
i didnt purchase any additional caritidges just yet until i get how this works.
there is a basic one included.
there was a women there demo-ing the larger cricut -for scrapbooking.
i was telling her how cake decorators use it with gumpaste.
she wasnt too familiar with this.
i have a few questions before i even start:
1) the sticky mat - how do you put gumpaste on that? doesnt it stick too much? (the lady at joannes said that its not food safe and not to use it)
2) how thing do you have to roll your gumpaste?
3) are you able to cut words and phrases at once or do you do each letter at a time
im sure im gonna have a gazillion more questions once i get started.
so if any of you have used this and can offer advice- i would really appreciate it!
TIA

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 1:49am
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

just got the small cricut today at joanne's. they had alot of them still there. sale is on through this week.
now i just gotta figure out how to use it!
i didnt purchase any additional caritidges just yet until i get how this works.
there is a basic one included.
there was a women there demo-ing the larger cricut -for scrapbooking.
i was telling her how cake decorators use it with gumpaste.
she wasnt too familiar with this.
i have a few questions before i even start:
1) the sticky mat - how do you put gumpaste on that? doesnt it stick too much? (the lady at joannes said that its not food safe and not to use it)
2) how thing do you have to roll your gumpaste?
3) are you able to cut words and phrases at once or do you do each letter at a time
im sure im gonna have a gazillion more questions once i get started.
so if any of you have used this and can offer advice- i would really appreciate it!
TIA

there was another thread about this, i'm sorry i don't know remember the name of it & i didn't comment so i'm having a problem finding it. if i come across it, i'll post it.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 1:52am
post #21 of 32
Quote:

I know!! I just know it's gonna be $400 when it comes out though icon_redface.gif I don't do enough cake business to justify the expense. Maybe I could ask for it for my birthday. Hmmmm icon_lol.gif

sadly you're right. i clicked on the 'details' on the cricut create on their site & it is $400.00. UGHHHHHHHH icon_sad.gif bummer.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:05am
post #22 of 32

I also have the Personal Cricut and have been trying to get the right combination to get it to work with gumpaste. There is another thread on here but I don't have the link. You have to remove the sticky stuff (use very hot water and a sponge with a scrubby). You roll the gumpaste very thin and put it on the mat that has a thin coating of shortening (that's how it sticks). You have to move the rubberband on the roller to the sides, otherwise it will put indentations on your gumpaste. You also have to let the gumpaste dry awhile before trying to print. I haven't found the right combination yet, so pretty much after a couple of letters I unload the sheet and clean the blade. I find that it collects the gumpaste and doesn't cut clean. You have to figure out the speed and pressure as well. It's a bit frustrating, but trial and error ........... I have also used it to print out paper to make a template. Good luck. I would be interested in knowing what method you come up with.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 4:50am
post #23 of 32

ohhh ok thats making a bit more sense to me.
so shortening makes it stick. for some reason i was thinking cornstarch.
im glad im asking questions now before i attempt this.
im curious did you use the blade that came with your machine or did you purchase the deep cut blade?
sounds to me that some people have great success while others not so much. a definate trial and error i guess.
thanks for the info!

TobiasWilhelm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TobiasWilhelm Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 5:54am
post #24 of 32

1. The sticky stuff comes off with Goo-B-Gone, which is an adhesive remover that is citrus oil based. Once its all off, we sterilize and sanitize the mats several times.
2. I will measure tomorrow to give a scientific answer to that - its a 1 including the mat on our summerset sheeter, but i doubt that helps anybody. I trained a team of decorators at a bakery that was using a pasta roller and theirs was on a 3, but I'm unsure if they are all the same. basically you can just begin to see the lines on the mat through.
3. You can cut as much as you can fit on the mat.

Jenn's Blog will have some free tutorials in the next few days - so feel free to subscribe at www.cuttingedgecakeart.com

HTH[/url]

msulli10 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 1:35pm
post #25 of 32

aundrea - I am using the blade that came with the system. Maybe that's my problem.

TobiasWilhelm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TobiasWilhelm Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 2:15pm
post #26 of 32

That would be your problem - you do need the deep cut blade housing.

msulli10 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 3:22pm
post #27 of 32

Thanks TobiasWilhelm - I'm going to the store now to buy them!

CentralCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CentralCake Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 12:36am
post #28 of 32

From confectioner's point of view what the difference between Cricut's Cutters and usual cutting plotters like
CraftROBO CC330-20 or Silhouette?

craftybarb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybarb Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 1:07am
post #29 of 32

I also ask the question about the mats and someone on here told me to use the thin cutting boards from walmart you get them 3/3.00 they are in the cooking stuff, you have to cut them to size,they also said stick them to the mat from your machine. Also yes you do have to get a deep blade. And the website that is really great is www.Cakeart.com. they give you the recipe and alot of information.

Rosie2 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 7:40pm
post #30 of 32
Quote:

Hi Sweetlorraine, guess what??? I am taking your spot in the Cinderealla Carriage classsssss icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
BTW, did you try to get ahold of Dawn??? she told me that she didn't get a message from you or your friend to confirm so she said that indeed there were 2 spots available.
I took the Castle class yesterday and I LOVED IT!!! Debbie Brown is tha' best! not just talented but a very, nice, down to earth person. I'm glad I took her class...I'll bring pics later on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%