Need Help Deciding Cake Flavors For Wedding Shower

Decorating By adamsmom Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 4:22am by indydebi

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 7

Hello all,
I am going to be co-hosting a bridal shower coming up and I am playing with some different cake flavor/filling ideas. I was going to try making a few different cakes this weekend and would like some input. I am definitely going to make a lemon sponge cake w/ raspberry filling and BC icing. I also thought that a good flavor combo to do would be strawberry/banana. So, would you do a strawberry cake w/ banana filling or the other way around? Also, are there any other flavor combos that are popular for showers? ( I am also open to cupcake ideas so I would only have to make 1 cake and then the rest could be cupcakes) Thanks so much for any input that you may have. I am currently only doing this for fun for friends/family. icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 7

You could either way with the ban/straw combo. I've done a banana cake with a layer of banana bc and a layer of strawberry fruit filling as a filling and ban/straw bc icing. the lemon raspberry sounds delicious nice flavors. In this forum on the first page there's a topic called "Help! Gourmet flavors" it's almost 300 pages but OMG! You'll never ask 'I need suggestions on cake flavor/filling/icing question again. Good luck and please post pictures. HTH

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 7

White chocolate with raspery filling, strawberry with chocolate filling, lemon with strawberry, vanilla with bluberry, spice with apple, chocolate with rasperry.

Also, i have done three (skinnier) layered cakes with chocolate, vanilla and strawberry with vanilla bc filling. or strawberry, lemon and vanilla with vanilla bc (you could also do one layer stawberry filling and the other lemon and do the vanilla bc on the outside.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 7

i hear people rave about pink champange cake. never tried it but i think thats a classic flavor for bridal showers.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 7

Are there going to be any older people at the shower or is it going to be all 20-somethings? Because we older people tend to ask, "Do you just have a PLAIN REGULAR piece of cake?" We are traditionalists and we like our regular white cake or chocolate cake. thumbs_up.gif

Know your audience and consider what THEY might like to eat more than what YOU might like to make.

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:10am
post #6 of 7

Thanks so much for all of your input! And yes, indydebi, thanks for bringing up the audience thing. It will be a mixed age group, so I will definitely have one of the more traditional flavors available and then whatever my friends/family like the best that I am doing trial runs on now. BTW, indydebi, we're almost neighbors. I live just north of Crawfordsville! Nice to have someone that's actually in the same vicinity as I am that has so much experience! I only do this for fun, but really appreciate all of the input you and everyone else is willing to give. Thanks a bunch everyone! I'll post pictures of the finished products....but it won't be until April. Until then I just posted a few pictures of a lemon/raspberry cake and strawberry/banana cupcakes that I made today. Still playing around with my decorating technique on cakes, but practice makes perfect! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 4:22am
post #7 of 7

well heck, darlin', if you're ever over here, let me know and we'll do that Starbucks thing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%