Any Tips For A 1St Timer Making Ganache??

Decorating By BakerzJoy Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 2:44pm by BakerzJoy

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 7

For as long as I've been making cakes, no one has ever asked me to use ganache. I have a client wanting milk chocolate ganache paired with my popular sugar cookie vanilla cake.
I have a couple of recipes to try but I guess my question is.....do I use this with buttercream too. She wants a baseball cap cake, so it will have fondant.
Doesn't ganache harden? Do I use it as a filling and make a buttercream dam. Never used fillings before either.
HELP!!

6 replies
snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 7
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 7

Here is another really good thread. It's long but the first 3-5 pages are really helpful.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:41am
post #4 of 7
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:33am
post #5 of 7

I used it for the first time recently and LOVE it! I followed the directions on this link and got some advice from fellow cc'er, Rylan. It turned out perfect. Wait until it gets to the consistency of peanut butter (about an hour in the fridge or a few mins in the freezer if you're impatient like me). It is quite nice to work with and it a great alternative to buttercream!
http://www.artandappetite.com/2009/11/ganache-instead-of-buttercream/
Have fun!

Makeitmemorable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Makeitmemorable Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:47am
post #6 of 7

I use ganache on 85% of my cakes and just love it. It tastes great and is really easy to work with - you will be converted after you use it !!

Good luck icon_smile.gif

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone....super helpful information!! I made a batch last night and It was runny this morning. It was okay because I whipped it for a couple of minutes and it fluffed up so I could use it in between the layers. Just what I wanted anyway. You guys weren't kidding, that stuff is amazing!! It took everything in me to stop eating the extras left in the bowl. I'm thinking of converting to this stuff instead of buttercream, my clients would sooooo agree!!
I'm now interested in trying a different ratio of cream to chocolate to get the hard crunchy shell on the outside of the cake. I'm thinking this is gonna be a seller!
Thanks again everyone, I sure do appreciate it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%