Fondant Cakes And Perishable Cakes And Fillings

Decorating By symho2000 Updated 24 Feb 2010 , 9:25pm by symho2000

symho2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
symho2000 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, what's the secret with bakeries that can cover a sponge cake with fresh fruit filling with fondant? I thought you can't store fondant covered cakes int he fridge/and/or fondant covered cakes don't do well with softer cakes like sponge and cheesecakes.

5 replies
egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 6

I always use fruit fillings and mousses in my cakes - one of the tricks is to make a dam of BC so the filling does not get in contact with the fondant. And even without a dam my cakes do fine for up to a day or 2 as long as they are refrigerated.
I always keep them in the fridge uncovered( for several days) - in the paper cake box but without the lid. That way teh air can circulate and I haven't had any problems
It also depends on what kind of fondant you use - MMF and Ballinas brand does not need a seal of BC for example. When I use homemade fondant ( not MMF) I brush the side towards the cake with a little cooking oil and it will seal in the moisture.

We have a very different cake tradition and taste here - the important thing is the filling not the cake. The thicker layers of filling and thinner of cake the better. So when I make a cake 4 inches high it's 75-80% filling! But we still want to cover with icon_smile.gif

You can also build the cake in the tin or cake frame and cut out a strip of cake that you use as teh outer edge or dam.

symho2000 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks egensinnig. So you are saying from your experience fondant in the fridge is fine as long as it's uncovered. I use either Satin Ice, Wilton or my own marshmallow fondant. I guess I'll have to test it out. If I can do a sponge cake with fresh fruit fillings AND fondant covered that would be so amazing. I just thought you can't do that but I guess you can!

rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 6

I cover all my cakes with and without perishable fillings with mmf and refridgerate them all the time.

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 7:42pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by symho2000

Thanks egensinnig. So you are saying from your experience fondant in the fridge is fine as long as it's uncovered. I use either , Wilton or my own marshmallow fondant. I guess I'll have to test it out. If I can do a sponge cake with fresh fruit fillings AND fondant covered that would be so amazing. I just thought you can't do that but I guess you can!

Yes - every single cake I've made has been in my fridge for a day or two and they have all been fine. I should also add that I have a new fridge that creates a very dry environment - an older fridge might be different - just guessing.

As long as you have a protective coating - BC or ganache -between the fruit filling and the fondant you should be fine!

symho2000 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone for your replies!!! I shall try it this weekend then!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%