Had A Spanish Cake Over The Weekend, Do Not Know The Name

Decorating By mishlove Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 12:23pm by mishlove

mishlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mishlove Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 11:36am
post #1 of 12

I went to a spanish party and I had a peice of cake that was so good. The person bought it from someone and is not sure what it is called. I was wondering if someone can help me with the recipe.

It was a very very moist/wet yellow cake, they pour some liquid over the cake when it comes out of the oven, sometimes they use rum for adult parties, this one I had tastes like almond and it was very wet, but the lady was able to decorate it in a mold Tinker Bell. It was so good.

Any body know what it is?

Thank you

Michele

11 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:02pm
post #2 of 12

Sounds like it could be Tres Leches. I haven't had it with liquor, but why not?

mishlove Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 12

It was more on a sponge cake with a sugar syrup poured on it.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 12

Hmmm - my mother used to have a recipe for Puerto Rican Rum cake, it was a yellow cake with a rum sugary syrup poured on it. It was baked in a bundt pan. She got the recipe when my dad was stationed in Puerto Rico. It was from an ad for a Puerto Rican Rum but was always very popular. I'll have to try to find it tonight (hope I remember!).

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 12

It is called ponque which is basically pound cake with a sugar syrup that has a mixture of cherry liquor and almond and vanilla syrup or extract. The key is to bake the cake and let it cool but not completely. Leave it in the pan and poke small holes in it. Pour the syrup over the the cake and let it be absorbed (at least 24 hours) and it is fabulous. just ba careful, addind too much syrup will make it too moist and difficult to decorate.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 12

What kind of icing was on it? Was this a layer cake; what kind of filling was in it or would you recommend for it. My daughter went to a baby shower on Sat. and yesterday let me taste the cake. It was wet moist, no filling and was awesome. I was trying to figure out what the flavor was. I think this is the same cake.

mishlove Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:44pm
post #7 of 12

Sounds like the same cake. This was shaped like a princess with a buttercream icing, no filling just very moist and wet

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:05am
post #8 of 12

the most common icing is a meringue based icing but I have yet to replicate it. It is slightly crunchy on the outside and has a very smooth texture underneath. It tastes a little marshmallow flavor but not as thick.

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:40am
post #9 of 12

**Simple Syrup is brushed on cakes for added moisture and flavor. This one can be flavored with Almond, Vanilla, Brandy or Rum. Which ever flavor you like. I do Almond for Kids Cake and Adult I do Rum or Brandy...

Brandy Simple Syrup--
For 2 Cakes

**Note-You Omit the Lemon Zest and The Brandy and add the Flavors you like...

Ingredients-

2 cups water 1 cup white sugar 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest, Instead Almond, 1/4 cup brandy

Directions

In a saucepan, combine water, sugar and lemon zest. Bring mixture to a boil and continue boiling for 5 minutes. Strain into a sealable container, removing the lemon zest. Allow to cool, then cover and store in refrigerator.
When ready to use, mix in brandy. Brush onto cake layers before frosting.

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 6:00am
post #10 of 12

Spanish Pound Cake

Ingredients:

1-½ cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup unsalted butter
1 cups white sugar
5 eggs
½ teaspoon vanilla extract . I use Almond extract
1 cup milk

**Note- Heat your oven to 350º

Directions

Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan so it won't stick. Sift flour and baking powder together and set aside. Cream the butter and 1 cup of the sugar together until fluffy. Add the eggs and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla or Almond. Beat well. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, 2 tablespoons at a time, mixing well until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes.

ALMOND BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

2 pounds powdered sugar
2 cups Crisco vegetable shortening
1 Tbsp vanilla flavoring
3 Tbsp almond flavoring
3 to 6 Tbsp water

Sift powdered sugar 3 times. In a large mixing bowl beat Crisco until creamy. Slowly add powdered sugar. Add flavorings. Add water as needed for a stiff, but spreadable consistency.

Meringue Buttercream

Perfect for frosting, decorating, and eating. It is delicious. This makes a generous amount. You will not run out when frosting and decorating two 9 inch round cakes.

Ingredients

6 egg whites
2 cups white sugar
3 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla or Almond extract

Directions

Place the egg whites and sugar into a metal bowl and set over a pan filled with about 2 inches of simmering water. Heat, stirring frequently, until the temperature of the egg whites reaches 140 degrees. They will feel very hot to the touch.

Transfer the heated egg whites and sugar to a large mixing bowl or stand mixer. Mix at high speed (or as high as you can go without egg flying out of the bowl) until they have reached their maximum volume, 5 to 10 minutes. Mix on medium or medium-high speed while pinching off small pieces of butter and throwing them in. Mix in vanilla if using. The buttercream may look like it is breaking down, but keep on mixing and it will come back together.

Let me know the Outcome... Thank you thumbs_up.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 6:04am
post #11 of 12

sounds wonderful. what is the icing that curtsmin24 is talking about.. that sounds delicious too!! thank you for the recipe.

mishlove Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 12:23pm
post #12 of 12

Thats what I was looking for. Thank you so much. I will let you know how it comes out when I make it. Thanks again

Mish

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%