Luster Dust Substitute???

Decorating By sarkee Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 1:40am by mama2_3

sarkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarkee Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:05am
post #1 of 7

I am doing a cake with a fondant number one on the top. It is white fondant and would like to make it "sparkle" a little. There rest of the cake is hot pink, black, and white. How can I make the number one "sparkle or shine" if I don't have luster dust??? Thanks for helping me!

6 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:23am
post #2 of 7

The only thing I can think of would be possibly dampening it and dredging it in sugar crystals. Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 7

I don't remember where I got this recipe in order to give credit, but you might try this:

EDIBLE GLITTER (Brilliantine)
Put two ounces of gum arabic and 1/2 cup water into a double boiler, and stir occasionally while heating over hot water. When melted, strain through a piece of fine muslin ( I think it means cheesecloth), and color as desired. ( Mix light brown and yellow for beautiful gold effect)
Dip a stiff brush into the gum and brush it lightly over pieces of clean, polished glass. Dry in a warm room, or use a SLIGHTLY heated oven
When dry and set, scrape or brush the brilliantine off the glass, and use it as is, or crush with a rolling pin to smaller granules. This brilliantine may be used for spangling cookies or cakes.

I hope this helps you.

cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 7

Mix 50/50 vodka and corn syrup. Paint on dried fondant and let dry for 24 hours for a really, dry to the touch, shiny piece of fondant.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 7

Wilton makes an edible "glitter" that is widely available and fairly reasonably-priced. It is a large flake that can be crushed into smaller particles for more sparkle.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 7

Wilton also makes a pearl dust. You can find it at Michaels and I am sure Hobby Lobby. It comes in several different colors including white/pearl.

mama2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama2_3 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:40am
post #7 of 7

Someone told me to make it shiny you can spray some Pam in a bowl and then use a paint brush to paint it on the number. It will be shiny like plastic, though, not luster dust. I am not sure if this the look you are going for or not. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%