Legal Home Business Pet Question

Business By Sneezie Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 2:51pm by FullHouse

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 3:26pm
post #61 of 66

Haven't beenher in a couple of days, so here goes.....

Allowing a service dog into an establishment and having a pet in a home-based bakery are two vastly different subjects, so I won't try to compare the two situations.

I am extremely allergic to animals. Their hair/fur, their skin, and their saliva. One of my children is also allergic, but to a somewhat lesser degree than I am. Additionally, it's my personal preference (or squeamishness, if you want to see it that way) to not have pets around food. So, even if the law allows it, I would not order from a home-based baker that has pets in the home.

We bought a house that had pets living in it a few years ago. I had to get the carpets steam cleaned and the air ducts scrubbed before we moved in. The amount of hair from the ductwork could cover a small dog. Lovely.

My website clearly states that I work in a pet-free home, to assure customer for whom this would be an issue.

lonote1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lonote1971 Posted 28 Feb 2010 , 4:46am
post #62 of 66

NC...........NO WAY according to my FDA Inspector, That was the first thing she told me..

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:59pm
post #63 of 66

in PA.. NO PETS allowed icon_sad.gif

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:05am
post #64 of 66

Anyone remember that 60 Minutes show where they filmed the restaurant employees urinating in the ice making machine? Yuck! That turned my stomach.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:25am
post #65 of 66

I agree that pets should not be anywhere near food but I know that in NYC restaurants keep cats around so they can tame the mice and rat problems. The cats wander all over I'm sure. They may never be seen by health inspectors but they are around.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:51pm
post #66 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeonista

I agree that pets should not be anywhere near food but I know that in NYC restaurants keep cats around so they can tame the mice and rat problems. The cats wander all over I'm sure. They may never be seen by health inspectors but they are around.

I'd rather a cat near my food than a rodent any day. Now you know a restaurant isn't shut down for having a mouse. You can't tell me that the grocery store or Sam's Club with in-house bakery doesn't have any rodents in the building. I think liscensing should be determined on a case by case basis. No goldfish??? Seriously???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%