Legal Home Business Pet Question

Business By Sneezie Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 2:51pm by FullHouse

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:40am
post #31 of 66

lol- funny that the breed of my dog was blocked out. Didn't type it like that. We always pronounced it Sheet-zu so that my daughter didn't run around pronouncing naughty words.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:54am
post #32 of 66

jentreu, sorry about your dog.

as a pp mentioned, no indoor pets allowed here.

I did want to mention, just for the heck of it I reckon, that I worked at a bakery where there were no dogs in or about it but there was dog hair found from time to time due to the fact that some employees had indoor pets that shed...and bad too...and their clothes would be covered in it...

Caralovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralovescake Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:58am
post #33 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

This varies from state to state, but let me ask you this, would you eat at a restaurant that had a pet free roaming?

Depends, but I bet I have eaten at a restaurant where an employee hadn't washed their hands! Ya just never know!

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 6:04am
post #34 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

I worked at a bakery where there were no dogs in or about it but there was dog hair found from time to time due to the fact that some employees had indoor pets that shed...and bad too...and their clothes would be covered in it...

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

I would not order from a home-based baker that has pets in the house. Nope, just couldn't do it.

all4cake Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 6:35am
post #35 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by this-mama-rocks

Quote:

I worked at a bakery where there were no dogs in or about it but there was dog hair found from time to time due to the fact that some employees had indoor pets that shed...and bad too...and their clothes would be covered in it...

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

I would not order from a home-based baker that has pets in the house. Nope, just couldn't do it.

This wasn't a home-based bakery. This is a well-established, free-standing, full-fledged, storefront bakery. No animals in or about the place but some of the associates owned pets that shed and they would wear the pet's hair into the bakery on their clothes...unintentionally, I'm sure but still.

How many storefront bakery owners require more than a hairnet, clean hands/nails and/or gloves? No one that I know of checks associate's clothing for 'debris'...(I don't get out much so maybe they do exist).

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 7:09am
post #36 of 66

I realize that you were referring to a storefront bakery, that there were no dogs in the bakery, and that the dog hair came from the associates.

I got all of that. Really, I did.

My last comment was directed at the original direction of this thread, not to the content of your post. Regardless of the local laws, I personally would not order from a home-based baker that has pets in the house.

all4cake Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 1:17pm
post #37 of 66

icon_redface.gifthumbs_up.gif

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:08pm
post #38 of 66

KHalstead,
I am not doubting that you checked into the laws of having pets in the house and a home bakery. But I am a little confused. I too live in Ohio and have a licensed home bakery. When I contaced the Ohio Department of Agriculture (based out of Columbus), the first requirement the lady told me was "no pets" in the house. We have a fish, Nemo, but he doesn't count (I doubled checked). The lady said no dogs, cats, hampsters, ferrets...anything with fur.

I know each county can have different rules, but that info is from the State Department, which has final ruling on these matters. It even states no pets on their website:

Type of License: Food Safety (Home Bakery)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who Needs This License? Home baking of potentially hazardous baked goods

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Licensing Period: Valid through September 30

Annual Fee: $10

Requirements: No pets in the home and no carpet in the kitchen

Forms Needed: License application is supplied at time of inspection.
Renewals are sent via the Division of Food Safety

Submit to: Ohio Dept. of Agriculture
Food Safety
8995 East Main Street
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068
Phone: (614) 728-6250
Email: [email protected]

JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:23pm
post #39 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by cai0311

KHalstead,
I am not doubting that you checked into the laws of having pets in the house and a home bakery. But I am a little confused. I too live in Ohio and have a licensed home bakery. When I contaced the Ohio Department of Agriculture (based out of Columbus), the first requirement the lady told me was "no pets" in the house. We have a fish, Nemo, but he doesn't count (I doubled checked). The lady said no dogs, cats, hampsters, ferrets...anything with fur.

I know each county can have different rules, but that info is from the State Department, which has final ruling on these matters. It even states no pets on their website:

Type of License: Food Safety (Home Bakery)

Who Needs This License? Home baking of potentially hazardous baked goods

Licensing Period: Valid through September 30

Annual Fee: $10

Requirements: No pets in the home and no carpet in the kitchen

Forms Needed: License application is supplied at time of inspection.
Renewals are sent via the Division of Food Safety

Submit to: Ohio Dept. of Agriculture
Food Safety
8995 East Main Street
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068
Phone: (614) 728-6250
Email: [email protected]

In my state you can't even have a fish in a fish bowl, which I think is quite absurd. I think they just didn't think of that when making the law.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:32pm
post #40 of 66

my inspector was aware that we have three dogs, but they are outside 90 percent of the time (we have 5 acres and a barn so they are quite happy to raom and have shelter when they want it) and downstairs in our finished basement the rest of the time (mostly to sleep at night). NEVER on the main floor where my kitchen is, EVER. I think in VA (papers not in front of me but I have a pretty good memory) you can have animals in the house but they cannot be near the kitchen while you are working. I personally dont let mine on that floor of the house EVER because I think hair just hangs around forever.

all4cake Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:32pm
post #41 of 66

fish carry funky shtuff as do birds, snakes, lizards...and pet rocks...

what about the mexican hairless...would that be allowed? it ain't got fur, does it?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 3:35pm
post #42 of 66
Quote:

jentreu, sorry about your dog.

as a pp mentioned, no indoor pets allowed here.

I did want to mention, just for the heck of it I reckon, that I worked at a bakery where there were no dogs in or about it but there was dog hair found from time to time due to the fact that some employees had indoor pets that shed...and bad too...and their clothes would be covered in it...

Point I tried to make in my post last night on the subject. I visit a friend that has a dog inside. When I leave her house I use a lint roller to remove dog hair before getting into my vehicle. I work in a bakery and am totally paronid about hair. Period. Especially pet hair. I do not have a dog in the house and certainly would not if I baked in my home. I agree with this-momma-rocks...would NOT buy from a homebaker that has a dog in the house.

q2wheels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
q2wheels Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:19pm
post #43 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I agree with this-momma-rocks...would NOT buy from a homebaker that has a dog in the house.

Playing devil's advocate here, what about service dogs?? Service dogs (not just seeing eye dogs) are permitted BY LAW into any establishment. Would you not patronize a food service establishment because they have to allow service animals? How do you know when you walk into a fine dining/high end restaurant that there isn't a service dog under a table.

I have a service dog and am hobby baker/decorator, not legal to sell from home in my state. I give my cakes as gifts and NEVER once has anyone ever found a stray dog hair in my cakes or cookies.

This wasn't intended to add fuel to the fire, it's just something I have to deal with every day because most people do not realize that some wheelchair users qualify for a service dog and I just happen to be one of them.

Toni Ann

cai0311 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:45pm
post #44 of 66

I know any animal can carry disease. That wasn't my point. I was just wondering how the state website info and the info the other cc received didn't match. I am only basing my post off what the lady at the office and the inspector that came to my house said. Nemo is allow, but nothing with fur. I didn't ask about lizards and such because I don't have any nor do I plan on getting any. The only reason we have Nemo is because he was the centerpiece at our wedding. Who knew a beta fish could live 3 years. Had I been told I couln't keep Nemo, I would have flushed him that day.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:53pm
post #45 of 66

In OHIO - you do not have to be licensed to legally sell product from your home. You can LEGALLY sell product with a pet in your home. (NON licensed - thanks to our large Amish population here!)

That being said, IF YOU ARE LICENSED (which again, is NOT a requirement to be legal here) - no, you cannot have pets inside or carpet in the kitchen.

I am licensed only for marketing reasons - my "compettion" used it as a marketing tool, so I got the license so I now can use it too. I was never asked by a client nor was it needed to be legal here.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:07pm
post #46 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

lol- funny that the breed of my dog was blocked out. Didn't type it like that. We always pronounced it Sheet-zu so that my daughter didn't run around pronouncing naughty words.

I have one too. It is actually spelled Shih Tzu, even though most people pronouce it with the 'it' sound at the end instead of the 'ih'.

cai0311 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:07pm
post #47 of 66

I got licensed just to be able to say I am. I know you do not have to be licensed in Ohio to sell baked goods. But I think the cc person I was asking about the pets is licensed.

bizcocho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizcocho Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:41pm
post #48 of 66

You know this reminds me of certain people I know that would not eat leftover food made at home because they are afraid to get sick, but eat at restaurants and save the leftovers for the next day??? How do you know what happens behind a kitchen restaurant. Like someone here posted, how you know the employees wash their hands, etc. etc.
It's also funny how some people are quick to judge others, but huh? no photos of their cakes in their profile?? I just think it boils down to common sense.

FierceConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FierceConfections Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 6:05pm
post #49 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by q2wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I agree with this-momma-rocks...would NOT buy from a homebaker that has a dog in the house.

Playing devil's advocate here, what about service dogs?? Service dogs (not just seeing eye dogs) are permitted BY LAW into any establishment. Would you not patronize a food service establishment because they have to allow service animals? How do you know when you walk into a fine dining/high end restaurant that there isn't a service dog under a table.

I have a service dog and am hobby baker/decorator, not legal to sell from home in my state. I give my cakes as gifts and NEVER once has anyone ever found a stray dog hair in my cakes or cookies.

This wasn't intended to add fuel to the fire, it's just something I have to deal with every day because most people do not realize that some wheelchair users qualify for a service dog and I just happen to be one of them.

Toni Ann

I think this is a really interesting point. Many of my local grocery stores and restaurants allow service dogs to accompany disabled patrons. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they have to in accordance with the ADA, just like they have to provide wheelchair accessibility, etc.

Would anyone here with a storefront deny a blind person with a service dog access to their bakery (and risk a discrimination lawsuit)? detective.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 7:08pm
post #50 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcocho

You know this reminds me of certain people I know that would not eat leftover food made at home because they are afraid to get sick, but eat at restaurants and save the leftovers for the next day??? How do you know what happens behind a kitchen restaurant. Like someone here posted, how you know the employees wash their hands, etc. etc.
It's also funny how some people are quick to judge others, but huh? no photos of their cakes in their profile?? I just think it boils down to common sense.

So what do photos in their profiles have to do with ANY of this?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 7:45pm
post #51 of 66
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcocho

So what do photos in their profiles have to do with ANY of this?

Pffft, some people think that if you don't have photos you're not a real person or you can't decorate and shouldn't have an opinion or something. I don't have time to upload photos, personally, and there are plenty of links if you want to go look at my pictures on my website. I never look at photos here, honestly, I just stick to the forums.

Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:54pm
post #52 of 66

Jentreu- just wanted to say I am sorry for your loss. If they ever pass the laws here and do not permit pets I will have a tough decision to face. My pet or my dream. She will ultimatley win as she has my heart but it would really, really suck.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 12:53am
post #53 of 66

Off the original topic, but please remember Ohio has 2 ways to sell baked goods from a home: the cottage law and the home baker law. The home baker law says no pets, but the cottage law does not. In addition, if you are selling via the cottage law you have to provide a list of ingredients.
Check it out- 2 laws, 2 ways.

kathy164 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathy164 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 1:05am
post #54 of 66

In Oregon, No pets at all in the home. Outside ok if they do not come in. Each state is different.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 2:31am
post #55 of 66

In Ohio you have to do the ingredient list no matter if you are licensed or if you do the cottage industry thing. It is required both ways.

The only difference on that is that if you are licensed, you do not have to have the "THIS ITEM IS PRODUCED IN A HOME BAKERY" statement on the label ( if you are doing the cottage industry thing, you HAVE to have this on your label).

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 4:42pm
post #56 of 66

The thing with pet hair is... if you have an air conditioned home (as most homes are these days) those little pesky hair can travel by way of the circulated air in your home. Not to mention traveling on the clothes of family members. I, for one, love dogs, but I do not want to eat anything with doggy hairs on it or human hair either.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:00pm
post #57 of 66

I think this is a really interesting point. Many of my local grocery stores and restaurants allow service dogs to accompany disabled patrons. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they have to in accordance with the ADA, just like they have to provide wheelchair accessibility, etc.

Would anyone here with a storefront deny a blind person with a service dog access to their bakery (and risk a discrimination lawsuit)? detective.gif[/quote]

Of course you would have to allow a service dog in; the difference is that the service dog would be in the front of the store, not in the kitchen area. The food should all be in display cases or otherwise protected from the dog by proper packaging. Plus, service dogs are extremely well trained, so they are less likely to jump up on a counter and start eating your cake than a typical pet dog.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:03pm
post #58 of 66

Exactly Saffronica. A customer with a service coming into a resturant, is a much different thing then a restaurant with a pet in it. But hey, everyone can do as you please. For me, it's NOT about cleanliness as some keep trying to stress. It's about client perception, period.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:11pm
post #59 of 66
Quote:

Exactly Saffronica. A customer with a service coming into a resturant, is a much different thing then a restaurant with a pet in it. But hey, everyone can do as you please. For me, it's NOT about cleanliness as some keep trying to stress. It's about client perception, period.

Exactly.

cai0311 Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 5:41pm
post #60 of 66

I had a consultation last night with the MOB. She asked if I had in pets. I told her I don't, to be a licensed home baker in the state of Ohio you are not allowed pets. She said she had a tasting at someone's house a few days ago and the owner had a cat in the house. The owner assured the MOB that the cat was not allowed in the kitchen while any baking or decorating was going on. The MOB said she wouldn't consider anyone that had pets in their home.

That was her opinion. Some feel differently. But in this case, with this person, had I had a pet, I wouldn't be considered for the wedding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%