Groom's Cake

Decorating By Cakoration Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 5:43am by this-mama-rocks

Cakoration Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakoration Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:08am
post #1 of 7

Hello!!
I am about to make my first wedding cake, it is a friend of mine who is getting married, I also would like to make a groom`s cake, but I do not know much about where to put the grooms cake. I have heard of the grooms cake before but never saw it in a wedding.
does it go on the same table as the main cake??? Is it something that it is made just for fun? If someone can give some directions, I would appreciate. I know he likes to play soccer, so, i would be making a soccer field for him.
Thank you,
sincerely,
Jana

6 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:12am
post #2 of 7

where I am from the groom cake has its own table away from the bride and groom table. It is a cake that anything to do with the grooms likes. if he likes soccer then you could do a soccer cake. Most of the time it is a chocolate cake but does not have to be. Whatever the groom likes. HTH

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:27am
post #3 of 7

In my neck of the woods, the groom's cake is usually served at the rehersal dinner. I have done one for a wedding reception, and it was sitting beside of the wedding cake...same table.

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 5:01pm
post #4 of 7

Around here, the Groom's cake has it's own table, usually on the other side of the room from the wedding cake. While the wedding cake table usually has things like the champagne flutes, the serving set, maybe some flowers on it, the Groom's table is usually home to things like nuts, chocolates, cookies, things like that. Sort of like another dessert table. But that's just around here icon_smile.gif

Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:22am
post #5 of 7

Let me start by saying the largest wedding I've been to was about 200 people. The grooms cake was served next to the wedding cake every time. I would suggest asking the couple how they want it set up.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:35am
post #6 of 7

I'm with Harley. Grooms cake gets its own table away from the bride's cake table.

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 5:43am
post #7 of 7

It's a tradition that originally started in the South. It is usually chocolate, frosted in chocolate, or has chocolate-covered strawberries on it. It represents the groom and his interests - hobby, fave sports team, etc.

Check with the couple to see what they want. I have found separate tables work the best. The couple gets two cake cutting photo ops, and the DJ/bandleader can play a different song at the groom's cake cutting to establish a different mood for the room.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%