How Do I Start!?

Decorating By Katja508 Updated 24 Feb 2010 , 4:16am by denetteb

Katja508 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katja508 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:24am
post #1 of 6

HI all! I just started getting into baking, especially layer cakes and cupcakes. But I still feel like I'm making it up as I go along. I would love some tips or advice. What kinds of pans, tools, icing, cake, ANYTHING! I'd really just like to feel a little more confident in my kitchen. Thanks in advance! I know this is a bit broad icon_confused.gif !

5 replies
cohen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cohen1 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:51am
post #2 of 6

Hi! Welcome to cake central and baking!

There is a ton of information out here that will definately help you. I would go out to the forums and just start looking and searching around.
The "how to" forum is great for learning some basic stuff.

You can also do some generic searches like "tips" and you should get alot of different hits.

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:52am
post #3 of 6

Welcome to CC! if you go to the Forums there is MASSIVE information for beginners. Most people start w/ a class like Wilton's classes that are usually taugt at shops like Hobby Lobby & Michael's. If you can't find what you are looking for be specific & the lovely ladies & gentlemen on CC will be glad to offer advice & suggestions.

Happy Caking!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:00am
post #4 of 6

welcome to CC, read read read the threads and when something really interest you, get all the info on it and then buy the things needed to do it. The next thing that interest you then maybe you will already have some of the things needed. That is how I did it. You will get lots of help on this site.

Katja508 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katja508 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:57am
post #5 of 6

Thanks, guys! I guess I jumped the gun a little; I should have dug a little deeper into the forums! I'm sure I'll be asking lots more questions in the future!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:16am
post #6 of 6

In addition to the above sugestions....youtube has some great videos. Check out tonedna and seriouscakes for starters but there are many others. I learned so much more watching than just reading or looking at pics. Also a good search tool is to use google over the CC search option. Just type....smoothing icing cake central....and up pops the melvira roller method, the upside down method and the paper towel method on cake central as the first three links. Methods that are referred to often here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%