3D Spongebob Cake

Decorating By cksmm5 Updated 26 May 2010 , 3:36pm by jayne1873

cksmm5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cksmm5 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:12am
post #1 of 11

Could someone please help me with detailed instructions for a Spongebob cake?

10 replies
AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:01am
post #2 of 11

Just made one last weekend. Used 2 8" squares, cut in half and stack on top of each other. Fondant covered and the rest was basically circles! I'll attach it here for you.
LL

ocfrank Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ocfrank Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:53am
post #3 of 11

Hi cksmm5,
Laurapoopie on you tube has a cool SB cake she posted...she wasn't too happy with it but I think it was pretty cool...At the end of the vid she has a few snapshots... kind of step by step.

hope it's ok to post...

cksmm5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cksmm5 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks for the great ideas! Quick question...how do I make fondant black and taste good? Mine always turns out gray and when I add more coloring, it tastes terrible!

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 11

I buy black fondant. Like you said, it never gets totally black. You can try to add your black coloring to your MMF before you add the PS. Also, try adding powdered black coloring.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 11

You can also use cocoa powder in place of some of the powdered sugar during mixing... it's easier to get to black from brown than from white... plus your fondant will taste chocolatey!

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 11

You can also use cocoa powder in place of some of the powdered sugar during mixing... it's easier to get to black from brown than from white... plus your fondant will taste chocolatey!

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:17am
post #8 of 11

i used 10" square, cut in half and stacked (i believe i had 5 layers). i used a teaspon to scoop out the holes that run along the sides/corners. i placed in freezer to harden up a bit, then carved it down so it was tapered at the bottom like the character. i iced it, then i covered in fondant panels for the font back and two sides (didnt feel like fighting w/one big piece). instead of circles for the holes, i used my small rolling pin and lightly pushed it into the fondant. it worked really good and it was really easy and gave it more dimension that doing flat circle cutouts. for his legs, i used bendy straws cut down a bit and then covered in fondant. for sand i used Nilla Wafers (the though of brown sugar on my cakes just isnt appealing), and it really looked like sand. his hat is a sugar cone, lightly brushed with piping gel then covered in fondant. the "poof" ontop of the hat is a ball of fondant that I snipped with scissors to give it that fluffy look. HTH.
LL
LL

kcassano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcassano Posted 27 Feb 2010 , 5:23am
post #9 of 11

oh yeah...also, use supports -- dowels or tea straws. bob will be tall and if he doesnt have proper support, he might end up laying face down in the 'sand' icon_smile.gif i put two dowels on each side, and one long one going thru the entire thing. i also put a cake board under my two top layers (so that it was easier to cut - and it wasnt a 12" slide of cake. lol).

Here is a very good tutorial by CakeFixation. I used this as my starting point when I made my "bob" and it was helpful. good luck.

http://cakefixation.blogspot.com/2009/08/how-to-make-sitting-spongebob-cake.html

MrsLev557 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsLev557 Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 11

I have to try and make spongebob this weekend....these are great tips, hopefully he comes out as good as yours..

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 11

I was in Nigella Lawsons book to add melted choc to the fondant to make it easier to make black, never tried it myself

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%