Cake Dummies

Decorating By Jbest Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 8:31pm by bonniebakes

Jbest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jbest Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 15

Hi, So I've decided to use a cake dummy for the first time for a competition. Any advice? It's gonna be 3 tiers. Someone recommended to me I use corn syrup to help the fondant stick. anyone every did that?

14 replies
cupcakeology Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeology Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 15

I brush a little clear piping gel or shortening on the dummy

Jbest Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 15

I didn't even think of shortening. Thanks

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 1:11am
post #4 of 15

I wrapped mine first with that saran press and seal, that way I could re-use them if I wanted to and they won't be all sticky. Also used piping gel under the fondant.

Jbest Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:13am
post #5 of 15

wow, I didn't know the press and seal would stay. Def gotta try that so I can use it again. Thank you guys!

cksweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cksweets Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 6:06am
post #6 of 15

howdy y'all. i posted something and got lots of good tips. you might wanna read em bc they really helped me out..

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6579747-.html#6579747

fyi - if you use piping gel you will not be able to reuse!

hope i've helped a little! icon_smile.gif

Jbest Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 15

Thank you cksweets, It was very helpful!

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 15

I just covered my first cake dummy last night. I covered it first in press and seal so it can be reused and then I put a thin coat of shortening on it. I rolled my fondant a little thin so it looks a little bumpy so next time I will roll thicker. The shortening worked great as I have a hard time finding piping gel.

cksweets Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 8:47pm
post #9 of 15

Jbest...you're welcome! good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimelt76

I just covered my first cake dummy last night. I covered it first in press and seal so it can be reused and then I put a thin coat of shortening on it. I rolled my fondant a little thin so it looks a little bumpy so next time I will roll thicker. The shortening worked great as I have a hard time finding piping gel.

I just covered my first one last week. I didn't use press and seal, but did use shortening because it seemed to go into the little holes that formed after my daughter got to them. icon_smile.gif anyways, i was told that when it dries i can just pick it off. but may have to use hot water. i'll let you know how it goes bc i will be recovering w/white fondant, as i used pink last time and want a change...already! lol. I too rolled mine a little thinner than i wanted. so next time i'll do the same thing jamielt79. have a questions about the press n seal... do you just press then cut around edges w/sissors or exacto?

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 9:33pm
post #10 of 15

I covered a 12" square so I went one way with the press in seal and then went the other way to make sure all sides were covered. I then took packing tape and taped the corners. I also wrapped the press around to the bottom and then taped it so no styrofoam was showing. I wanted to make sure that I could reuse it as shipping on them is a little crazy.

cksweets Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 11:26pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimelt76

I covered a 12" square so I went one way with the press in seal and then went the other way to make sure all sides were covered. I then took packing tape and taped the corners. I also wrapped the press around to the bottom and then taped it so no styrofoam was showing. I wanted to make sure that I could reuse it as shipping on them is a little crazy.

good plan! i totally understand...the dummies are so cheap, but then the shipping is crazy expensive. but i think they are a total investment for practice and to build up a portfolio. plus....THEY'RE FUN!!

here's a pic of the one i did... i'll let you know how the removal goes. icon_smile.gif

cksweets Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 11:27pm
post #12 of 15

okay..not sure but wouldn't let me post a pic. i will upload to my pix asap. it will be the pink square tiered cake. icon_wink.gif

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 11:43pm
post #13 of 15

I like to use a very thin layer of shortening. It is super easy to then take the fondant off when you want to re-use it. Also sand the top edge a little and that will help so the fondant won't tear.

cksweets Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 2:01am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2179

I like to use a very thin layer of shortening. It is super easy to then take the fondant off when you want to re-use it. Also sand the top edge a little and that will help so the fondant won't tear.

that's what i used...glad to hear it is easy to take off! yay!! icon_smile.gif also, yes!! wish i would have done this. even though i love the sharp corners, it did tear the fondant when applied. thought it was bc it was too thin.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 8:31pm
post #15 of 15

thank you! thank you! thank you!

I just tried covering my first dummies with fondant. I covered them in the press & seal and then spread on a thin layer of shortening, as suggested. It worked great! Now I just need to improve my smoothing technique!

As for storage.... what do you suggest for keeping the fondant covered dummies nice and fresh looking? I'll need to store it for about a month, and want to keep away the dust and keep it looking nice and new.

thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%