Need Tips On How To Do This

Decorating By Spectra Updated 23 Feb 2010 , 7:35pm by Spectra

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:03pm
post #1 of 5

So I saw this cake by designsbysherrielynn and thought it was so beautiful! My best friend's daughter is having her 4th birthday in 3 weeks and I thought I'd do something similar for her, as a gift, since she loves Ariel.

I pm'd the creator of this cake, but have not heard back, so I thought I'd put my question to the forums. What I was wondering was do you need something between the big layer and the small layer for support? And I was also wondering how to get that diamond pattern on the cake? I found a great tutorial on how to do a doll cake, so I figured I'd take a 8 inch round, two layers, then on top do the doll cake pan, with Ariel, in pink fondant dress. Any tips would be greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif
LL

4 replies
Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 5

Hi,

Yes, you would need support between all 3 tiers if you are talking about replicating this exactly like the picture. The doll cake can be made with the Wilton Wonder Mold or with a pyrex bowl or with the Pampered Chef deep batter bowl. It will need to sit on a cardboard round the same size as the bottom of her dress (before you apply the fondant.)

The smaller tier will be on it's own cardboard circle as well.

You will need to use dowels in the two round cake tiers. I have used wide McDonald straws cut to the height of the cake and inserted around 5 for the size of that smaller tier for support.

If you are doing just the doll and one round cake underneath, you still need cardboard under the doll portion and dowels down in the lower round cake portion. You could put another cake circle under the one that will be attached to the doll and secure the two with a dab of buttercream. That will make it easier to slide a spatula in between and remove the doll cake for cutting.

The diamond pattern can be made with an impression mat that you press against the buttercream or with a diamond cutter that is like a cookie cutter with 3 vertical diamonds.

Does that answer your questions?

Spectra Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 5

It does indeed! Thank you so much!! icon_smile.gif

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 5

You are welcome! I hope you'll post a pic of your masterpiece! BTW, I imagine your tutorital mentioned this, wrapping the doll's legs in saran wrap is great.....but if you can fashion a tight bodice out of saran wrap as well, you'll avoid getting icing in the joints of the doll. I was able to pipe right over the clear "straps" of the saran wrap dress and keep the Barbie clean when I did this for my 2 year old niece.

Spectra Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 5

Awesome thank you! I will do that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%