Wedding Serving Size???

Decorating By HG0265 Updated 24 Feb 2010 , 9:14am by HG0265

HG0265 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HG0265 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 10:26am
post #1 of 12

Are wedding cake slices always served at 1" X 1" regardless of whether it is a fruit/vanilla/chocolate cake or do you always ask the client if they want larger slices?

I'm starting up a home business and not sure how to go about it.

Having said that, when I got married 5 years ago, I don't remember them asking me about the cake slices!! Have I answered my own question?

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks.

11 replies
jhuntl01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhuntl01 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 11:48am
post #2 of 12

Wedding cake slices are actually 1" x 2" x 4". I tell all my potential brides up front and show them how big that is. To be honest I do not off any other options and have never been asked for bigger slices. I have read on here that some offer different slice options though.

HG0265 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks jhuntl01

Anyone else!!

Now I really don't know what size I should be offering.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 12:14pm
post #4 of 12

The OP is from the UK. Their slices are different sized from US slices. They offer either a "coffee size" 1 X 1 X 1 or a "dessert size" which is closer to the US size.

HG0265 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 12

Anyone else have any suggestions!! Sorry for going on about this.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 12

fruit cake slices are, i believe 1x1 (because its richer), sponge is still 1x2. that tends to be what uk and us cake makers do, from what i have read.
you tell the client what size your cakes are designed to be sliced at. if they then tell you they want to serve bigger portions, they tell you - and as the professional, you tell them that unless the cake is the dessert, its not necessary, but its up to them, here's the price for a larger cake....

its worth looking into the business gateway site, and other business start up sites. also look for the british s u g a r c r a f t guild - great lot, and the message board, being british, can be of more specific help re business stuff.
so i can beat the block - first word sugar
second word craft!
xx

HG0265 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks a lot Princess-b

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 12

You set the standard size and if they want to eat double that they they have to buy double the servings. A standard size here is 8 cubic inches, which is typically 1x2x4 for wedding cakes, though some are 6 inches high so you can adjust for that - more like 1.5x1x6. If it is a shorter cake, then you adjust the width so they get 8 cubic inches. I don't know about the fruit cake and being richer, but I would say you should charge for the standard size and if they want them smaller then they could just buy less servings.

mandirombold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandirombold Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:23pm
post #9 of 12

a wedding serving is 1x2x4 I do not offer a bigger serving. if they want to cut it bigger they can it will just serve less ppl

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:53pm
post #10 of 12

My standard wedding slice (whether fruit or sponge) is 1x2xheight of cake (which can be anywhere from 4-6in). Occasionally I have couples asking for 1.5x2xheight of cake slices because they want to serve it for dessert, but they still pay for the standard wedding size equivalent slices. For example I made a 6-8-10 for a couple who wanted to serve larger dessert sizes (58 servings), but they still paid for the 76 standard wedding slices that cake serves.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 6:25pm
post #11 of 12

I quote them on 1x1x4 for a fruit cake slice and the standard 1x2x4 on sponge cake. I have this in my contract and I explain it to my brides. Like OP said, if they want o cut it bigger they must buy more cake icon_smile.gif

HG0265 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 9:14am
post #12 of 12

Thank you for your help everyone. It's put my mind at rest. I'll offer 1X1X3 for a fruit cake and 1X2X3 for any other cake, unless they ask for larger slices. At least now, I'll be able to work out how much cake they'll need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%