Cake Board Question

Decorating By pj22 Updated 1 Mar 2010 , 9:32am by akgirl10

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:14am
post #1 of 10

I am making a cake that will have five 12x9 cakes stacked on top of each other, with filling in the layers as well.

What cake board would you suggest be used for this cake?

9 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:48am
post #2 of 10

foamcore board with a food friendly covering on it

pj22 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 6:22am
post #3 of 10

where can I find those? Never heard of them!

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 10

You need a really sturdy base for a bake that big!! I wouldn't use foamcore for the bottom (foamcore or foamboard is a foam board used for mounting pictures. They sell it in sheets at your hobby store. The problem is that you will have to cut it out with an exacto knife.) I use foamboard under each cake so it doesn't flex when I try to stack it. But, that is just a personal preferance. Just be sure to use something strong, double or triple your cardboard rounds. For the base of the cake you need to use something really strong. I don't understand how people can just use a cardboard cake drum or foamboard icon_confused.gif I always use a nice thick piece of wood and cover it in something. I prefer to cover mine in contact paper. It's self adhesive, looks nice, and is food safe. Good luck!! thumbs_up.gif

moranda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moranda Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 10

I almost always use pieces of plywood that is cut to the size I need for any particular cake, it is extremely sturdy and I have found to be cheaper than the cake drums you can buy. I just cover it with foil.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 10

definitely get some actual wood for the base cake board on that puppy! I would go with something like MDF you can get it very cheap....I paid around $4 for a 4' x 6' piece of it at Home depot (they will also cut it to size for you if you ask too!)

You can use the foam core board between the layers and definitely dowel at least every 2 layers of cake!

pj22 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for the help guys! I'll get some wood for the base then! Thanks again!! icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 4:13am
post #8 of 10

I used foamcore board on the really big cake i just made, its the one with mask etc....I will say it was bowing out the foamcore board....I will use wood in future for heavy cakes, and the foamcore you can find at craft stores and walmart usually close to poster board things icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 8:25am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug-a-Bug

I prefer to cover mine in contact paper. It's self adhesive, looks nice, and is food safe. Good luck!! thumbs_up.gif

Another thread on clear contact paper:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-670650-.html

HTH

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 9:32am
post #10 of 10

Question, about wood boards-how do you attach the cake to the board? Usually I drive a dowel through the cake into the drum. I just bought a MDF circle to use for a 3 tier cake. I was thinking I could 1. hot glue the bottom tier cake circle on the board, 2. just put non skid material under the bottom tier, or 3. double side tape it to the board. What's best?!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%