What Depth Of Pans Do You Use? 2" Or 3"?

Decorating By megankennedy Updated 24 Feb 2010 , 2:45am by cakesbycathy

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:31am
post #1 of 18

Hello, I am in the market for a good new set of magic line pans, and would like some input on what depth you guys use, why, and how you like it! I currently am using 2" pans at home, but have to bake 2 pans per cake with my total cake height at 4". like most of you.
However, at the bakery I work at we use 4" deep pans, and just slice them into the 2 layers. I found a good deal on a magic line set but they are 3" - my thinking is use the 3", bake the cakes high, (collar the pan?) and by the time they are iced they will be about the same height anyway....

Any input is helpful....Thanks!

17 replies
Smashme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smashme Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:42am
post #2 of 18

I probably wont be much help to you here, but i use the 2inch high. And that is only because i live at a high altitude and the 3inch high pans just don't work right here. i would also like to know what people think, because someday i would love to move away from here.

megankennedy Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:45am
post #3 of 18

thanks for replying, now do you bake 2 - 2" cakes and then stack to create a 4" cake? or is it b/c of the altitude that they rise higher in the one pan?

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:48am
post #4 of 18

I recently switched to 3" Magic Line pans and will never use 2" pans again!!! With 2" pans, you never really get the full 2". With 3" pans, you just fill 1/2 way or so and you ALWAYS have at least 2". Easy peasy.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:19am
post #5 of 18

I too use the 3" magic lines. I use them for my weddings only- I have sets of 2" for my celebration cakes. Definitely worth it for wedding cakes- makes a great cake, and helps with doming too in my opinion.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 4:54am
post #6 of 18

I'm the opposite. I switched from 3 inch pans to 2 inch pans. For right now I'm happier with the 2 inch pans. I torte my cakes so when I use the 2 inch pans I'm really close to the height I need for when I use SPS.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:09am
post #7 of 18

I always just use the 3" pans

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 1:27pm
post #8 of 18

I use the 3" pans also. Fill about halfway, bake, trim to 2" and stack. I love that I don't get the "crusty" edge around the top.

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzylynn58

I love that I don't get the "crusty" edge around the top.

me too!!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 18

[quote="mkolmar"]I'm the opposite. I switched from 3 inch pans to 2 inch pans. For right now I'm happier with the 2 inch pans. I torte my cakes so when I use the 2 inch pans I'm really close to the height I need for when I use SPS.[/quote]

Me too. I hated the 3" pans and gave them away. I'm never switchng from the 2" pans again. I thought the 3" pans baked "funny".

megankennedy Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 6:19pm
post #11 of 18

Does anyone bake a full 3" - 3 1/2" cake and torte it for a 4" tall iced cake? Or do you all bake smaller layers and stack them?

I don't know if I'm making sense....lol

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 9:00pm
post #12 of 18

"Does anyone bake a full 3" - 3 1/2" cake and torte it for a 4" tall iced cake? Or do you all bake smaller layers and stack them?"

Yes... If I'm in a big rush, I do this but only usually with 6" or 8" rounds, I collar the pan and add way more batter then neccissary.. lol..

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 9:32pm
post #13 of 18

All of my cakes are like 7". I bake 2 of each size. fill them and thats it. For me its alot faster and it is also a wider slice of cake that my family gets, I dont cut it too thick nor too thin and its still a fair amount of cake. IMO

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 10:58pm
post #14 of 18

I HATE 3" pans. I bake two 2-inch layers and do not torte. I fill them 2/3 full and they rise above the pan when baking. I then just use the pan as a guide to level. My tiers are usually about 4.5 inches tall.

I gave away the 3" pans that I used to have. It took them an eternity to get baked through. They are great for making deep dish pizzas though. thumbs_up.gificon_razz.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 11:35pm
post #15 of 18

I am curious after reading all of the 2 inch vs. 3 inch post. I bought 2 new 3 inch pans last week but haven't used them yet. I am going to bake a cake later tonight just to see what I think. I will let ya know!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:09am
post #16 of 18

2 inch

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:58am
post #17 of 18

I like 2" . I have a 3" pan, 8" round but when I bake in it it takes forever and a "line" always appears in the middle (along the circumference on the outside at the mid point in it's height), almost as if it was "making itself" into 2 layers.....weird, I know, but that is what happens....

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 2:45am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzylynn58

I use the 3" pans also. Fill about halfway, bake, trim to 2" and stack. I love that I don't get the "crusty" edge around the top.

This doesn't make any sense to me icon_confused.gif
Why wouldn't you just use a 2" pan? Seems like by trimming it down to 2" you are wasting cake. Unless you use the trimmings to make cake balls?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%