Servings Help Please

Decorating By Lenette Updated 23 Feb 2010 , 2:51am by Lenette

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 4

I have a baby shower cake to do for the weekend, it's a girl from my church so I can do whatever. I was thinking about a baby block.

I need to serve about 50 people. I was thinking at first of doing 3 small cakes, like 6" squares 3 layers tall so it would be 6x6.

But now I am thinking of doing one big block but I am not sure of the sizes.

Would 9" squares to it? By the time I fill 4 layers it would be about 9" tall.

What do you think of this idea? How would you go about it?

Thanks for your help.

3 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 4

A serving is generally 8 cubic inches, so you could plan on 1x1x9 inch slices - 9 cubic inches, or you could put a board in the middle of the cake so it would be easier to cut 1x2x4.5 inch slices (still 9 cubic inches). You could get 81 servings approximately.

If you want to get closer to 50 I would go with a smaller size. Either way with a block it will be really tall, so make sure you are prepared for that for your cutting.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 4

Slices are 1"x2"x4". My guess is over 88 slices with some odd pieces left over. Be careful how you slice.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:51am
post #4 of 4

Oh my gosh! I suck at figuring servings, it's really sad as long as I've been doing this. That is twice as much as needed.

Thank you both for responding to me. I will definitely put a board in between and scale it down. Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%