Box Or Scratch Cake

Decorating By Bastian Updated 24 Feb 2010 , 12:01am by surgery2

Bastian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bastian Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 5

I want to take a poll on how many people use box cake mix over cake made from scratch. I take pride in making one from scratch and have found that they taste good, in my opinion. Also, if I'm selling a cake I don't want it to be something that jo blow down the street can go get at the grocery store for 99 cents. But I do have people, like my sis, who request a box cake, should I take this as an insult? Just want some feedback on this : )

4 replies
Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 5

This is a very controversial subject on here, and sometimes gets ugly!
There is nothing wrong witha boxed cake mix. Iwould not take it as an insult.
Alot of people like to use a doctored box mix. For yellow and white cakes I use kakeladi's original WASC recipe.
My chocolate cake is scratch.
I think it's all a matter of personal preference, and what your customer's want. That's just my opinion.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 6:25pm
post #3 of 5

I suggest you read back posts on this subject. There is many of them and most of them got locked because of heated discussions.

You should bake what you are comfortable with and what those that eat your cakes enjoy. Some people prefer cake mix cakes over scratch. Some prefer scratch over cake mixes. I don't think it is a case where one is right and one is wrong.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 6:30pm
post #4 of 5

Definitely go thru the threads to read the approx 23,815 threads on this topic. The opinions and thoughts on this topic never change, so none of the threads are "outdated".

surgery2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surgery2 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 12:01am
post #5 of 5

I make a batch of scratch and a mix and blend together. I mix both leaving off 1 min of time to each , then combine together for a minute, It gets me the rise of a mix, but the taste/texture of scratch. I used this method at our state fair yrs ago and entered it in the contrests and yellow, white and chocolate won first place. Mind you, this method takes a bit longer, but its worth it for the clients i have.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%