Loop Bow And Curly Cues

Decorating By kaddikakes Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 5:36pm by kaddikakes

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 6

I made a loop bow and curly cues out of Satin Ice Choc. Fondant . . . my curly cues all broke and fell off and my loop bow cracked. I put gum tex in my fondant before I rolled and cut. What did I do wrong? I wasn't able to post my pic. here but I did post on "my photos". Thanks for helping me.

5 replies
FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 6

Howlong did you let them dry before assembling? I find it generally needs about a week.

kaddikakes Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 6

Only 24 hours!

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 6

Yup...longer drying time is the way to go! I made the mistake of working with them too soon my first time, and had the same problem! Next time I tried a 50/50 mixture of gumpaste and fondant, but I think the gum tex has the same effect (?). With the 50/50 mixture they were fine after 48 hrs, but I handled them gently.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 6

When using fondant with gum-tex I usually wait about 36 hours before trying to assembly. The longer the better.

I looked at your picture and it looks like they weren't dry enough. What was your ratio of fondant to gum tex? I'm thinking maybe you needed more in it? I don't measure, but go by feel, but I'd aim for a teaspoon or so for about 12oz fondant. Also if you roll your fondant out thinner they will dry faster.

kaddikakes Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 6

Texas sugar that's my thought exactly . . . I never worked with the choc. fondant and really wasn't sure on how much gum tex . . . I don't think I had enough. I think next time I will use gum paste and fondant for my bow and curly cues. Everyone loved the flavor of the choc. fondant though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%