Mini Cupcake Bouquet Using Cups?? Anyone Done It?

Baking By KHalstead Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 2:06pm by KHalstead

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 2

I have 7 cupcake bouquets due this weekend using mini cupcakes. The customer provided the container (a 7" diameter metal bucket, it's only about 4" high though)...I have charged her $15/each. Normally I charge $20 if I provide the container, but since I didn't have the headache of finding them, I offer the $5 off each one.

Anyhow...normally I do them like to 2 pictured below and I use styrofoam and toothpicks. However, 6" and 7" styro balls are like $5+ each and I do NOT want that kind of a bottom line! I have made largerbouquets using the cup method and I really would MUCH prefer to do these that way too.

Has anyone ever done a mini withe the cups?? I've seen the gorgeous topiary made by a CC member using the cups and the minis, but the cup shows. I don't want the cups to show whatsoever! I just like the idea of the easy removal with the cups, as well as the less expensive cups vs. styro balls.

Can anyone tell me if they know of any cups that a mini would just barely fit into (so the top was sticking out of the cup, but the bottom was snug in the cup??

Also if you have seen any, what size are they? Like how many oz. and where did you see them??

Any help would be REAlly appreciated!!!
LL
LL

1 reply
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 2

i may have solved my own problem, not sure. I got to thinking I use 6 oz. cups for the big bouquets and they're about 2" across so I thought the little cupcake or only like 1 to 1.5" in diameter at most so I googled cups with that diameter and it seems that there are 1 oz. cups (probably shot glasses or something).....so I called GFS and asked if they had them, they do, then I had the guy get a ruler and measure the opening LOL These poor people at GFS I call with the weirdest requests and they're so nice and willing to run all over the store for me all the time!

anyhow, he says it's a little shy of 1.5" across. There are 250 to a sleeve for under $3...it's about a 35 min. drive for me though so I am waiting for the local party store to open at 9:30 to see if maybe they have them first!!

I really hope this works!!! I don't want to CRUSH my bottom line on these things, I still have to get ribbon and such and don't want to spend a fortune on styrofoam!1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%