How To Get Even Baking With Wondermold?

Decorating By Salma Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 2:59pm by FullHouse

Salma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Salma Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:24am
post #1 of 10

Hi. I am getting OC about stand-up doll cakes... I Whenever I bake in my Wondermold, the center stays gooey and the outer rim gets cooked. I've tried covering the outer part with foil and baking some more to cook the inner part, but that still results in a tough crust by the time the centre's done. I always use the center rod provided with the pan, and once also tried baking with the core given the with Wilton's 3D teddy pan- that was relatively better, but still not a great, evenly baked cake.

I've also checked my oven temperature, and it seems fine. Other cakes bake ok too.

So many people online use this pan with such great results. Could some kind soul please, please guide me about any possible thing I can do to bake my dream cake?

9 replies
Salma Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:35am
post #2 of 10

Sorry, I was so eager to post my question that I didn't preview it- I'd rather know how to bake an even cake than a 'neven' one, thoughicon_smile.gif

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:59am
post #3 of 10

I've only made two wondermold doll cakes and I had the same problem with the gooey center core the first time and then I had a dry overbaked cake the second time because I wanted to be sure I didn't have the gooey coreicon_smile.gif I don't think it would bake up nicely without the core but also am hesitant to use it if it prevents the center from baking properlyicon_sad.gif I hope someone has a fix for it because I don't even want to bake another doll cake if I have to overbake it all the time - what's the point in making one if it's not edibleicon_sad.gif They're fun to make and people love them so I'd really like to continue making them if possibleicon_smile.gif

Salma Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 10:13am
post #4 of 10

my feelings exactly, luvmysmoother! it's somehow reassuring to know there's someone out there experiencing the same problem, and more importantly, feeling the same wayicon_smile.gif let's hope we can find some remedy here.

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 10

I just made a Barbie cake on the weekend and had the exact same issue (picture is in my photos). I have had this problem each time I have used this pan - I bake at 325degrees. I hope someone has an answer.

Jen

allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 10

I make these quite often. I do use the center rod, but I also wrap a damp bake even strip around the very top of the pan and bake @ 325. Sometimes the very top will be rather done, but it's a closer to being even by the time I trim that off. Hope that helps.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:03pm
post #7 of 10

I also bake all my cakes at 325 including the doll pan but the bake even strip idea is worth trying. I'll give it a try and also try lining the outer rim with the tin foil to try to prevent the top from browning too much. Thanks for the tipsicon_smile.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 10

I used the pan only once or twice...the crust was too crusty! I just find it easier to bake round cakes and carve them into the shape you need.

Salma Posted 26 Feb 2010 , 11:48am
post #9 of 10

For the last cake I had to make a couple of days back (the one that prompted my original post), I used one half of a 6" ball pan plus two tube pans. Nevertheless, I'd love to be able to do it all in the one pan that I specifically got for this purpose. Thank you for the tips- will definitely try them.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 10

I don't love the way it bakes (just did 2 last weekend, 1 for a friend and 1 for my kids). I had to trim off the first inch or so b/c it was overbaked, the center was slightly underdone with the outside slightly overdone, but..... my kids and DH didn't think so and when it's for a kids cake I just don't think it's worth all the extra time spent on carving. Kids just aren't that picky. It was still good, just not perfect (but again, I'm the only one who thought so). I also won't bake a scratch cake in there, only versions of WASC as it's more forgiving w/baking times.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%