Having Trouble Making Silver Icing

Baking By luv2bake6 Updated 23 Feb 2010 , 5:49am by luv2bake6

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:49am
post #1 of 7

Hi. I have an order for cookies with silver colored icing. I'm trying to get a light gray so that i can use silver lustre dust on it afterwards.
I put a little bit of black into white glace and i got a light purplish color. I tried adding a bit more black and just kept getting a darker blueish-purpleish color. I can't seem to get a light gray. What am i doing wrong?

6 replies
verono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
verono Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 7

Which brand do you use?
I use Super Black from Americolor and I have no problem to get gray..

luv2bake6 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 7

I started with Wilton cuz it was the first i grabbed out of my box, but that gave me more of a blue-purple color so then i took out the chefmaster black that i just ordered and added some of that. I'm going to try again with just the chefmaster and see how it goes. I'm going to need black anyway so no loss with what i prepared already.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 7

americolor will give you a nice grey........wilton uses blues and greens to make their black so it'll never come out grey!

luv2bake6 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 7

Chefmaster gave me a bluish tint as well. HUMPH. I could not get a light grey to resemble silver. I just iced in white and will brush the cookies with silver lustre dust. This was my first experience having to deal with a specific color. Oh well.

KitchenConvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenConvert Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 2:40am
post #6 of 7

I use Americolor Superblack and had the same issue with the purple-ish gray. I found (trial and error) that adding a tiny bit of green got me to a gray that I liked. Sounds strange, but give it a try next time!

luv2bake6 Posted 23 Feb 2010 , 5:49am
post #7 of 7

Green does sound strange but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try since i've got a container full of purplish blue icing that i'll use to make black. Gray seems like a really easy color to get and i never imagined i'd have so much trouble! Why can't the manufacturers actually make the color they advertise on the bottle? I tried making navy icing from the bottle of americolor navy and it took almost half the .75oz bottle to get an actual navy! Very frustrating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%