Pricing

Decorating By Traci9130 Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 10:18pm by JanH

Traci9130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Traci9130 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:13am
post #1 of 5

Hi. I am not a professional cake baker/decorator, but the cakes that I have done for friends and family always get a lot of compliments. I have received offers from friends of friends who would like me to do a cake for them. Up until now, I haven't charged anyone for making them a cake because I do not have the confidence in my decorating, but, if I one day do decide to charge people, what should I charge? Is there a general rule that I should follow? As you all know, decoarting these cakes are expensive, and it's one thing if I do it for family or friends for free, but I have to draw the line for my friends' friends. Any suggestions?

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:21am
post #2 of 5

THere are so many factors involved in setting pricing. For the record, I dont' think any of us like that aspect of the cake business.

I would suggest you start in the Business Forum and read every pricing thread in there. You'll find some great insights and you'll quickly start to recognize the commonalities in the advice posts that are good "base rules" to start with.

If you end up with any specific questions that are unique to your situation or just weren't covered in the threds, pop on back on here and we'll help you find the answer. thumbs_up.gif

Traci9130 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 10:21pm
post #3 of 5

Okay, There is a business forum???? Please direct me to it, because I am missing it. The only business thing that I have come across has been how to start up a small business. I'm so sorry to bother you, but am I missing something?

Traci9130 Posted 24 Feb 2010 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 5

OMG! I am totally losing it! It was right under my nose..I found it. Thanks for the info. If I have any more questions, I will be sure to post them. Thank you so much.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Feb 2010 , 10:18pm
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%