White Cake Took Forever

Baking By SPCC Updated 21 Feb 2010 , 9:49pm by JanH

SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 5

I made my first white cake from scratch today and it took 2 hours in the oven to cook fully through. Anyone know why. I was told by my wilton instructor to lower my heat to 325 if I was using the baking strip so I did and it didn't make a hump in the middle but it did rise above the pan. Did I put to much mix in the pan?

After about an hour of cooking I sliced the top off but it still took another hour to cook through. icon_cry.gif

4 replies
SPCC Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 5

I also made cupcakes with the leftover batter that cooked in 30 minutes

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 5

Hi and Welcome to CC, SPCC. icon_smile.gif

What kind of cake were you making? (What's the recipe name?)

What size pan/s did you use, and how much batter did you put in each pan?

Two hours sounds excessively long for a properly working oven and average sized cake pans.

Do you have a separate oven thermometer to check the accuracy of your oven thermostat?

HTH

SPCC Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 5

it says classic white cake and it is from easy-cake-ideas.com. It had me add the egg last though could that be something?

I used an 8" by 3" high pan and filled it only 2/3 the way up. the recipe said 2 9 in pans but I made cupcakes with the leftovers.

I have never had a problem with any other cake I have made. I am pretty good at making cakes from scratch. I prefer it that way over mix.

not sure if I just used to much batter or if it was the cake.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 5

Well, an 8" round, 3" deep should bake for 55-60 minutes at 350F so baking at 325F (which is what I do) would increase the baking time, but nowhere near 2 hrs.

So it would appear that your oven temperature might be way off from the selected setting. icon_sad.gif

I'd recommend getting a separate oven thermometer to see what the oven temperature really is. (They cost less than $8.00 at Walmart.)

Everything you ned to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

The above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%