Painting Fondant Individual Pearls Gold

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 12:12pm by artscallion

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 8

Is there an easy way to paint individual fondant pearls so they look metallic gold? Can I just roll them in a little vodka and then shake them in some gold highlighter? TIA.

7 replies
maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 8

There may be a better way to do it, but thats the way I've done it in the past. Just make the fondant pearls, and then I just roll them on a vodka-dampened paper towel so they dont get toooo wet and then put them in a ziploc with the dust and shake it around til its all coated.

The only real problem I have with this is it seems like a lot of wasted dust... I rescue what I can, but still...

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 8

Hey, I just rolled my fondant balls on lustre dust without any alcohol. Here's the pic: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1578857
Made the balls quickly and before it dried I took a small amount of gold lustre dust and the balls on a plastic box and gave it a nice shake (shake it gently so that the balls/pearls does not deform). It turned out pretty well. And I keept the leftover dust on the same box so next time I'm gonna need it i'll use the same container, even take it out to paint/dust something, so it's not gonna be a waste.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 8

I do similar to juststarted. (see the pearls in my flag, gold and hatbox cakes in my pics) I keep a small (teacup sized) round Tupperware container by me. I put about 1/4 tsp dust in it. As I make each pearl I add it to the container and roll it around a few times and leave it there, adding more as I make them. This way they are moist enough to grab the dust.

I like using the round container because I can roll them in a circle around the bottom of the container rather than shaking them. I think rolling them even helps even out any imperfections.

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 3:09am
post #5 of 8

Thank you all. You guys did some fantastic looking cakes. I'll try them dry first, if I can't get it "gold" enough I'll try the paper towel vodka method.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 3:43am
post #6 of 8

For something this tedious, why wouldn't you just buy them? I buy them by the kilo.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 5:28am
post #7 of 8

Where do you buy them from Leah_s?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 12:12pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

For something this tedious, why wouldn't you just buy them? I buy them by the kilo.

It's what I do. I have no interest buying things other people have made and assembling them. That would bore me to tears. My cakes are my works of art and that's also part of my selling point. "Everything on this one-of-a-kind work of art was designed and made by me, specifically for you. Every petal (individually hand painted), every pearl."

Doing it your way is perfectly valid too. Different people are in this business for different reasons. Some of us like making the pearls. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%