What Is Yellow Cake?

Decorating By Tellis12 Updated 21 Feb 2010 , 12:47am by Tellis12

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 5

I think this must be a ridiculous question but I'm asking it anyway. What is yellow cake? How is it different (other than color) from white cake? I googled it but only came up with some kind of uranium which is apparently called "yellowcake." I have someone requesting it but I'd like to know what makes it different from other cake before I go searching for a recipe. Make sense? Thanks!

4 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 12:03am
post #2 of 5

I think white cake is yellow cake, minus the egg yolks.

But I could be wrong.

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 12:23am
post #3 of 5

Yellow cake is made with egg yolks and white cake is made with only egg whites.

Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 12:26am
post #4 of 5

Usually the ingredients for white and yellow are basically the same. Except for the eggs. You can't just remove yolks or add them in, if you are making from scratch because that will throw off your liquid and protein amounts and your cake won't rise right. Usually the weight of the eggs is the same, just the ratio of whites to yolks is different. If a white recipe calls for say 18 oz of whites and 4 oz of whole eggs (22 oz of egg stuff total), to make it yellow you would use maybe 10 oz of white and 12 oz of whole eggs (or maybe 8 oz white, 4 oz whole and 10 oz yolks).

There are some yellow cake recipes that also add butter instead of oil since butter is more yellow in color.

Hope this helps! marci

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 12:47am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the responses. Now I have a starting point for finding a recipe. I have a bride requesting it and I wanted to make a scratch cake, not a box (not that there is anything wrong with that. I like the challenge!). Really appreciate it ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%