Freezing Or Refrigerating Cake Layers

Decorating By flakeycakey Updated 20 Feb 2010 , 10:32pm by Normita

flakeycakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flakeycakey Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 7

Hello, can ya'll tell me if it's better to refrigerate or freeze cake layers before assembling the cake. I have found that the layers (especially large layers) are easier to handle and move around if they are cold but it seems to dry it out. Just curious if I should avoid doing this in the future.

6 replies
LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 7

I wrap my layers in glad press-n-seal freezer wrap while they are still warm and freeze them overnite. I never find them to be dry - actually, more moist than wrapping and letting them just rest out of the fridge. I take them out and let them thaw almost all the way before stacking.

flakeycakey Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the reply. I will try that next time. Very good information.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 4:38pm
post #4 of 7

Cold cakes are easier to handle and carve.
I like to freeze my cakes. I turn them out of the pan onto plastic wrap right out of the oven and wrap them really well. Trapping in the steam will keep the cake moist. Put them back in the pan to help keep their shape, and freeze.
I haven't refrigerated a cake before. Some will say it dries them out faster.

flakeycakey Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 7

Okay, great! So, would you wait to level your cakes after the freezing and thawing process or would you do it before while the cake is still warm?

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 7

I like to level when I take them out of the oven. I use the top of the pan as my guide, then I wrap and freeze.
If you don't want to level right out of the oven you can let the cake cool for a few minutes first.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 7

I personally level and torte my cakes when they are still warm out of the oven. I then wrap them up pretty good with saran wrap and stick them in the freezer for later use....or if I am going to use them the next day...I brush them with sugar syrup and wrap with saran wrap overnight to let the syrup infuse into the cake. It is easier to handle a cake that is chilled than not...I personally prefer the freezer for a few minutes than the fridge

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%