Cracked Fondant...all The Time!

Decorating By Dance2thebeat Updated 3 Mar 2010 , 9:33pm by Mug-a-Bug

Dance2thebeat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dance2thebeat Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 3:50am
post #1 of 14

So, as the title says, my fondant cracks all the time! It's pliable when I roll it and it doesn't stick but when I get it on the cake and smooth it on it cracks on the edges of the cake, I don't know what to do. I try smoothing out the cracks but that doesn't work either. I don't really want to learn to smooth cracks I just don't want them to happen in the first place.

Anyway, I had an inkling that I may be rolling it out for too long of time? Could that be my problem? If not that then what is it?

Thanks in advance,
Lianna icon_rolleyes.gif

13 replies
artsycakes14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artsycakes14 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 4:16am
post #2 of 14

Maybe the problem is, that you are rolling it too thin. That used to happen to me until I was taught to use a rolling pin with dowels (1/8 in.) laying on either side of the fondant so that my thickness was even all the way across. Hope that helps icon_smile.gif

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 7:15am
post #3 of 14

I get that when I'm in a rush and don't kneed it enough - It can be soft and pliable but still not completley worked through. I now make sure to kneed fondant for one cake in parts and tehn add it all together and give it another round

ozcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozcake Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 9:07am
post #4 of 14

You need to work reasonably fast too as the air will dry the fondant out so the longer the time between the kneading and getting it on the cake the more chance there will be cracks - so for example if you take a long time to roll it out or if you don't have your cake there ready to put it on and work fairly fast at smoothing it etc then more chance of cracks.
HTH

dtdonnahoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtdonnahoo Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 10:18am
post #5 of 14

I had that problem when I covered my counter with powdered sugar or corn starch. It would dry quickley and crack! I now use PAM or shortening on my counter and it no longer cracks.
Love the idea about the dowels on either side of the rolling pin! I will definately be using that one from now on! icon_lol.gif

Dance2thebeat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dance2thebeat Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks guys I will try all your ideas to cover my cake...in like a few minutes actually. Thanks so much again! icon_biggrin.gif

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:45am
post #7 of 14

Dance2thebeat - curious...what fondant are you using?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:08pm
post #8 of 14

I also only use shortning on the mat to roll the fondant out - keeps the fondant nice and supple. One other thing is that I microwave the fondant first to get it a little warm - makes it easier to knead it - then I knead it on a shortning covered surface to get it satin smooth before rolling it out.

I also never refrigerate before putting the fondant on, I like the fondant to adhere to the freshly iced cake - for me this works like a charm. I had a class of 5 last night that all did their very first fondant cakes just like this, and every one of them turned out perfect!

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 1:31pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I also only use shortning on the mat to roll the fondant out - keeps the fondant nice and supple.

Could it be that it depends on what type of fondant you are using? In the case of Satin Ice, I mean I used to use shortening but found it was harder to pick up the larger pieces to place them on the cake. Once I changed over to using a 50/50 CS/PS it was easier to pick up but I had a ticking clock before it set up quickly. Sometimes giving that SI leather look. Which I had to "patch" with royal icing.

Loucinda Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 5:02pm
post #10 of 14

I don't "pick" the fondant up - I flip the entire mat over and peel it off. I use MMF - but I have seen the same technique used with satin ice also (on the Ulitmate cake off!)

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 7:32pm
post #11 of 14

I've gone to Fondarific and it NEVER cracks. I roll it about 1/16 of an inch and it just doesn't crack. I'm still getting the hang of covering cakes with it though. I tried every trick imaginable with Satin Ice and the only luck I had was using shortening and flipping the mat over but I could cover a cake pretty easily.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:16pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I also only use shortning on the mat to roll the fondant out - keeps the fondant nice and supple. One other thing is that I microwave the fondant first to get it a little warm - makes it easier to knead it - then I knead it on a shortning covered surface to get it satin smooth before rolling it out.

I also never refrigerate before putting the fondant on, I like the fondant to adhere to the freshly iced cake - for me this works like a charm. I had a class of 5 last night that all did their very first fondant cakes just like this, and every one of them turned out perfect!

If you are applying fondant to a freshly iced cake, when do you let the cake 'settle'? [[Fondant newbie here]] Also, if you roll out on crisco, doesn't the fondant get 'greasy'? I've been too afraid to try it this way. Is it hard to smooth with a crisco layer over the surface? Thanks, and sorry to hijack this thread. icon_surprised.gif

Loucinda Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 8:25pm
post #13 of 14

I bake the cakes, let them cool, wrap them with saran wrap, then I put one on top of the other like they will be when they are all done. I let them set overnight.

Next morning, I unwrap, level and get ready to finish them. I fill and crumbcoat. I then get everything ready - so there is no lag time between the final icing and putting the fondant on it. I ice, roll the fondant, and cover.

As far as the shortning, just enough on the mat to keep the fondant from sticking. As I am rolling, I will "lift" the fondant off the mat just to be sure there are no places where it is sticking. After flipping it onto the cake, there is usually not much smoothing that needs to be done, but if there is, I lightly dust the fondant smoother with cornstarch and smooth away - you can feel if the smoother needs dusted more, it will try to "drag" on the fondant. I can ice and cover a fondant cake a lot faster than I can smooth out a buttercream one if all the icings are made and ready!

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 3 Mar 2010 , 9:33pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks Loucinda. Fondant is a mystery to me icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%