Silpin Problem!

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 20 Feb 2010 , 1:08pm by Texas_Rose

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone else's Silpin get a static charge to it when rolling out fondant?! Mine crackles away non-stop when I'm rolling my fondant out, and of course, attracts fuzzies within a 5 mile radius - grrr! Anything I can do about it?!

7 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 8

You might try to rub it down with a piece of fondant and see if that helps...only thing I could think of!

Lorieann55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorieann55 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:27am
post #3 of 8

I've noticed it too. Have not found a cure for it yet.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 5:48am
post #4 of 8

Take this with a healthy dose of salt: Is it possible to lightly rub it with a used dryer sheet? Would it impart an unwanted fragrance, and more importantly, would it possibly leave traces that might not be food safe? Just musing here...Maybe someone could supply the answer. I use a big aluminum one so don't have to deal with that.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:36am
post #5 of 8

Do you have the silpin with plastic or metal handles? I have the one with metal handles and don't have any static problems. I usually have a lot of static...every time I open a freezer door at the store I get shocked...but never had any problems with the silpin yet.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 8

I have the long silpin with no handles (like the Wilton big pin) - but there are metal ends to it.

I'm also terrible with static and am always getting shocks off things & people, maybe it's me causing it lol?!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 8

Just your electric personality icon_biggrin.gif LOL

Mike

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 1:08pm
post #8 of 8

We used to use something like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004Z5D1/?tag=cakecentral-20 when changing the filters on gas pumps. I wonder if it would solve the problem. There are also antistatic mats you can get, maybe if you put one where you stand while you roll your fondant it would help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%