Cake Photography

Decorating By ColeAlayne Updated 25 Feb 2010 , 4:57am by sugarspice

ColeAlayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColeAlayne Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 38

Okay everyone, how do you get these lovely backgrounds for your cake pictures? Do you have a mini studio set up for taking pictures of your cakes? Do you photoshop? Mine always have miscellaneous items appearing in the background. It just looks so much nicer when the background is a plain, solid color. Any tips???

37 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 38

I bought 3 yards of material that I use as a backdrop and I pin it up on the bookcase which has a light above it (toplighting is the way you want to go) and that's how I take my cake pix (unless they're done onsite.) Here's one example of that material backdrop: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1525474

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 38

I was going to ask this question, so thanks for the post! icon_smile.gif

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:00pm
post #4 of 38

i used either foamcore or material for my background. also, i always photograph my cakes near a window to get natural light.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 38

I've used wrapping paper...my avatar has a wrapping paper background, as do a few of my photos.

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 12:11am
post #6 of 38

I use a tablecloth... I finally just picked up several other shades at Home Goods (TJ Maxx & More) for $5 each, the brown was getting a little old. icon_wink.gif Lighting is definitely important, regardless of your background. Natural light is best, otherwise be sure to white balance your pictures if you can (try to stay away from florescent lighting if you can't wb). I have a small light box for the little things that takes care of all that for me and my awesome boyfriend gave me a set of standing box lights for Christmas... they make a world of difference. Check your camera settings, you may find a wealth of tools buried in the settings that will help enormously. I learn something new everyday on both our point & shoot as well as our DSLR. Photography is as much fun as caking, IMO. icon_lol.gif

Kakesbykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kakesbykay Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 1:30am
post #7 of 38

I just asked the same question. Thanks for this post

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 1:48am
post #8 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

i used either foamcore or material for my background. also, i always photograph my cakes near a window to get natural light.

ditto.

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:00am
post #9 of 38

i have a white and black story board, the kind kids use for science projects. They are tri fold and really tall so even wedding cakes work with them

ColeAlayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ColeAlayne Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:38am
post #10 of 38

Thanks everyone. I think I am going to go and pick up a few yards of fabric. I'll have to figure out a place to pin it up. My kitchen gets great natural light but I always seem to finish my cakes in the middle of the night icon_lol.gif

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:54am
post #11 of 38

I use solid-color bedsheets. I tape them up onto my wall cabinets and let the excess drape onto the countertop.

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:42am
post #12 of 38

I bought some craft paper on a roll and tape it up, then roll it back up to store so it stays nice and neat.

I have to mention one thing about the fabric/sheets...a pet peeeve I guess...if you spend the time to make a beautiful cake that will be eaten and gone forever, spend a few minutes ironing your fabric/sheets!! PLEASE!!! I see these beautiful cakes with wrinkled up fabric in the back and it bugs me sooo much because you can never go back and iron...the cake will be gone forever! icon_smile.gif So, do the wrapping paper thing, or craft paper thing so you can keep the paper nice and wrinkle free...or get out that iron! icon_smile.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 7:25am
post #13 of 38

dark green sheet. it shows up black. dunno why...but it does the job.

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:56pm
post #14 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmudrash

I have to mention one thing about the fabric/sheets...a pet peeeve I guess...if you spend the time to make a beautiful cake that will be eaten and gone forever, spend a few minutes ironing your fabric/sheets!! PLEASE!!! I see these beautiful cakes with wrinkled up fabric in the back and it bugs me sooo much because you can never go back and iron...the cake will be gone forever! icon_smile.gif So, do the wrapping paper thing, or craft paper thing so you can keep the paper nice and wrinkle free...or get out that iron! icon_smile.gif

tapedshut.gif

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 5:03pm
post #15 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by this-mama-rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmudrash

tapedshut.gif

Ugh....guilty as charged. icon_redface.gif

SBOG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SBOG Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 6:30pm
post #16 of 38

I found the tri-fold instant photo studio on CC and it works GREAT!

I use a tri-fold poster board used for science projects (bought it at Michaels). I use a textured white material and clip it on the tops of the tri-fold...instant photo studio. When done, fold up the material, fold up the tri-fold and put it away. It's very convenient.

Also, natural lighting works wonders when taking photos!

HTH!

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 11:49pm
post #17 of 38

i have several different pieces of fabric as i dont want all my cake pics to have the same backdrop so i try to mix things up a bit.. i drape it over a box ont he dining table and onto the dining table.. i have windows everywhere so great for cake pics... i then fold it all up put it back into my fabric bag that is just for my cakes till the next one

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 1:22am
post #18 of 38

Mrsmudrash -- I love your photos! I'm going to try that technique. I want some colored backgrounds but really don't like using colored fabric since I also hate seeing wrinkles (and I never have time to iron the fabric after I'm done decorating a cake). I once tried wrapping paper but it was shiny so didn't work. So far I just used a black tablecloth but that doesn't go with all my designs.

kater82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kater82 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 1:35am
post #19 of 38

There is a GREAT FREE photo editor you can get. That way if your pic is dark etc... you can lighten it up. Picasa. Love it! http://picasa.google.com/

that way you can crop out the other stuff on the side lines if you need to icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 1:37am
post #20 of 38

If you don't have photo editing software (like Photoshop), you can also use Picnik.com, and it's free as well. HTH

justdelightfulcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justdelightfulcakes Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 3:12am
post #21 of 38

A friend of mine was telling me she just uses two pieces of white poster board. I'm going out this week to buy some different colours. I'm so sick of seeing my table and walls in photos, and tired or ironing sheets!

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:20am
post #22 of 38

I use a white tablecloth. Lay it on the floor in front of my couch so it is on the floor and then up onto the couch. I do this in the morning when my living room has lots of natural light.

I turn off the flash, use the macro setting, and get down on the floor and photograph. Then I use a photo editing software to balance the colors and adjust the contrast.

I agree that natural indirect light is very important. You don't want the flash to wash out the detail you spent all that time working on. And you don't want bright and shadowed areas.

Less is more. Make sure your cakes are the focal point by removing anything that would compete. Take photos at different angles so that you can pick the one that best shows off your art.

sugarinspired Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarinspired Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 6:06am
post #23 of 38

i try to use different type of background. Try to go with the theme make it clean and bright. I like natural light and i use macro on my camera to focus on the the details

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 3:42pm
post #24 of 38

mrsmudrash is right on. and i use the wrapping paper on a roll as well now. i bought a roll of white (it's matte) from walmart for $2 probably and have used it for months. unroll it, tape it to the wall, take pic, roll back up for the next cake!

a photography expert did teach me how to make a light box, but the one i made isn't deep enough for most cakes. so i'm on the hunt for a new (free) bigger cardboard box that will work icon_smile.gif

until then, i'll continue to do my wrapping paper trick...

PinkLisa Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 4:02pm
post #25 of 38

Mrsmudrash -- how do you get the shaded corners?

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 6:04pm
post #26 of 38

A while back on here there was a link to how to make a flashbox....is natural light better than that? I can't get my digital to work no matter what setting, details are either too dark or washed out. I am like a PP that gets my cakes done in the middle of the night...hobby baker with kids that keep me on my toes...that's my only alone time. Does anyone have that link to make the flashbox?

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 6:41pm
post #27 of 38

i have a counter top right next to my fridge (which is black) and it has a black wall behind it... counter top is granite. If the cake is short enough to fit under cabinet I shoot there, if not I shoot on top of a bookshelf with fabric backdrop.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 7:08pm
post #28 of 38

I use white canvas board. I got it at an art supply store. But you can get it a Michaels. It comes in any size up to about 4'x6'. It's basically layered cardboard, a little less than 1/4" thick, that has a textured, white surface glued onto it. It's great because the textured surface prevents glare you might get with wrapping paper, foam core or poster board. You can build a photo box with it or just prop it up.
LL

PinkLisa Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 7:11pm
post #29 of 38

artscallion -- I like that idea. The glare with wrapping paper or foamcore board makes an unpleasant picture.

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 7:55pm
post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLisa

Mrsmudrash -- how do you get the shaded corners?

I have photoshop elements and "burn" the edges a bit so it creates a bit of a vignette look

YES, you need to use craft paper, NOT wrapping paper, because it does leave a glare...whereas craft paper on a roll does not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%