Rose's All Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake - Ugh!

Baking By tsal Updated 20 Feb 2010 , 8:38pm by terrig007

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:00pm
post #1 of 6

Every time I try this recipe I get an inch-high ultra dense cake. It tastes good, but I would never serve it to people given that the presentation is abysmal. I don't get all the hype about this cake. I just end up going back to my no-fail chiffon that everyone loves. I would like to have some diversity for my vanilla cakes.

What am I doing wrong? Is there another recipe that someone could suggest?

5 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 6

I'm not sure what you are doing wrong, but I love this cake. Turns out perfect every time.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 6

Have you seen the "great yellow cake scratch off" that we had last year. Here's a link to it.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633981-.html

There is a lot of great info and troubleshooting about different scratch yellow recipes that we all tried and critiqued.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 6

Amazing!! Thanks!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 6

I've never had any success whatsoever with any of her recipes. I've tried time and time again, but they never turn out very well.

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 6

Tsal & Tootie, I thought it was just me but I've tried a number of her recipes and I've never had success with her's either. Someone told me to get her newer book because it's better but I'm loving Sylvia Weinstock recipes which always work for me so I think I'll skip Rose's. I'm happy for those who get them to work but I am not able to have any luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%