Fondant Frustration

Decorating By TwoSweetTreats Updated 20 Feb 2010 , 5:07am by catlharper

TwoSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TwoSweetTreats Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:22am
post #1 of 6

I made MMF for the first time tonight using a recipe from Cake Central. I'm not sure what the exact texture or thickness should be. My KitchenAid became smoky when combining the marshmallow and powdered sugar. Yikes! Are there any highly recommended marshmallow fondant recipes and any advice for mixing techniques?

5 replies
noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:57am
post #2 of 6

i use rhondas ultimate MMF recipe here. i tried other non-marshmellow fondants and ended up wanting to scream! lol, Rhondas is great tho! so simple and easy to make! and i dont use an electric mixer of any sort with this recipe. its all done with a wooden spoon and by good old fashioned kneading, =) yay... well for me anyway.. seeing as the only electric mixer i own is a $10 one from k-mart. hahaha. HTH.
by the way, which recipe had you used?

ashleybs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleybs Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:03am
post #3 of 6

I mix mine on the counter and just knead it. It's super messy, but it works. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:12am
post #4 of 6

If you use your KA, you need to use the dough hook, grease the bowl really well, and never mix on a setting higher than 2...basically treat it like bread dough, which the machine is designed to knead.

This is the recipe that I use:

1 lb marshmallows
2 lbs powdered sugar, not generic
1/4 to 1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon (or less depending on flavor) lorann flavor oil

Melt marshmallows and water in microwave, stirring every 30 seconds.

Grease the KA bowl generously with crisco. Attach the dough hook to the machine and then grease it too. Pour the melted marshmallows into the mixer bowl. Add the powdered sugar on top. Mix on stir or the next setting up from that, never any higher when using the dough hook. When it starts sticking to the hook a lot, turn it out on a greased mat and knead by hand...usually at that point it's just about all mixed up and it doesn't really take much kneading. If there are hard bits of sugar in the bottom of the bowl when you turn the fondant out, don't add them to the fondant.

The consistency is soft and a little sticky. It will firm up enough to work with overnight but will still be sticky.

TwoSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TwoSweetTreats Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 4:36am
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone for the advise! I used T's Marshmallow Fondant that I found on here. It seems to be a great recipe but something just went wrong with the mixer. I kept the setting on stir only. Poor KA was working itself silly. I figured out afterward that it can be done simply by kneading. I would like to continue using my mixer but fear I may lose my KA and it is brand new!! I'm not going to give up yet on making fondant. icon_biggrin.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 5:07am
post #6 of 6

I knead my MMF by hand as well..helps me to keep track of the texture. You want it to end up like good bread dough or pizza dough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%