At The Risk Of Sounding Stupid..

Decorating By katies_cakes Updated 21 Feb 2010 , 7:33am by kiwigal81

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:34am
post #1 of 36

How do you work out how many servings you will get from a cake? i know this is probably a dumb question lol

35 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hails Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:42am
post #3 of 36

Hi katie_cakes,
if you go onto the wilton website they have a chart, hope that helps.
Have a great evening!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:42am
post #4 of 36

The only stupid question, is the one not asked. icon_smile.gif

Here's Earlene's serving chart.

Wilton has one too on their website, but I like Earlene's better.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:50am
post #5 of 36

Thank you all so much, i still cant belive how good this website is, and how friendly everyone is. im already addicted!!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:59am
post #6 of 36

lol it's so addicting. But, you're right it is a great site filled with a lot of wonderful people who are so helpful.

I think you'll love it here!

Welcome!

kizrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kizrash Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:11am
post #7 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

lol it's so addicting. But, you're right it is a great site filled with a lot of wonderful people who are so helpful.

I think you'll love it here!

Welcome!

This is so true, I only joined a couple of months ago and have to have my daily 'fix' of CakeCentral. I have read and learned so much on here. Thank you all for being so friendly, helpful and wise.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:22am
post #8 of 36

indydebi, always links c/cers to wilton web site.that is the only one she uses. hth

hails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hails Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:33am
post #9 of 36

I know it is a great place and I have do admit extremely addicting
The great part is there are no calories that come with this sweet addiction.....lol
Have a great evening ladies!!!

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:53am
post #10 of 36

yup.. be careful.. youll soon join the ranks of the heavily addicted.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:36am
post #11 of 36

Here's the wilton wedding cake serving chart I use to determine pricing: the client is welcome to cut the cake in half and serve it with 2 forks if they want, but they are PAYING for the 38 servings its designed to serve.

Here's a step by step on how to cut a cake to achieve these servings: http://www.cateritsimple.com/id10.html (I actually get about 10% more servings than the wilton chart shows with this method).

Here's photos of the cut pieces of cake when cut by this chart:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/3856884667/

As you can see, they are not "paper thin", which is what most people think when they hear the word "one inch". At weddings, when I am cutting the cake, I actually get folks ask me for "a smaller piece, please".

milmil95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milmil95 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:53am
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

the client is welcome to cut the cake in half and serve it with 2 forks if they want, but they are PAYING for the 38 servings its designed to serve.

icon_lol.gif This made me smile

rheasgma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rheasgma Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:08am
post #13 of 36

I just wanted to pass on a tip I read many years ago. Take a piece of styrofoam that's cut the size of a serving (1 X 2 X 4) and cover it with material. This is easy to carry around for consultations or have handy at a counter.

Rebealuvsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebealuvsweets Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:15am
post #14 of 36

Indydebi, everyone of your pieces look perfect!!! I wish that I could cut my cake exactly like u! And I wish I could have a piece of your cake right now. Looks yummy icon_biggrin.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:43am
post #15 of 36

at the risk of sounding nerdy...

In my spare time at work, I'm making a web page that can calculate this kind of info for us. Right now it's ugly, but it's using all the data from the Wilton chart for "Party Cake Baking Time and Batter Amounts - 2 in. Deep Pans". I hope to incorporate more functionality and optionally use Earlene's chart too.

http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/cake_calculator.cgi

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 10:59am
post #16 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

In my spare time at work, I'm making a web page that can calculate this kind of info for us. Right now it's ugly, but it's using all the data from the Wilton chart for "Party Cake Baking Time and Batter Amounts - 2 in. Deep Pans". I hope to incorporate more functionality and optionally use Earlene's chart too.

This is really clever! I especially like how you have the feature so you can check all the sizes you want and it calculates the servings, batter, etc... together. Looks like I can throw away my calculator icon_wink.gif

revskg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revskg Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 11:16am
post #17 of 36

Metria that is a FABULOUS website even in the current rough state. Thank you so much for doing this!

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 11:46am
post #18 of 36

oh...that is wonderful ...Thanks!

sugarlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlicious Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:26pm
post #19 of 36

Metria, what a wonderful site, it would be so much help to alot of people icon_biggrin.gif

creatingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creatingcakes Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:17pm
post #20 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

Question- on the top of the web page it says you are using the wedding cake, not party cake, but the servings are coming out party cake sized- It would be AWESOME if you did the wedding cake size! Thanks for going through all of the trouble to do that, it is great!

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:32pm
post #21 of 36

Wow, thanks for putting that together. Bookmarking now!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:24pm
post #22 of 36

thanks all! i'll definitely make improvements. you're definitely right, my data is using the party cake chart and i said i used the wedding cake one ... my first bug! when i get some time i'll make several chart data available and you can choose which you want.

creatingcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
creatingcakes Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:15pm
post #23 of 36

You are awesome, Thank you, thank you!

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 7:01pm
post #24 of 36

Thank you so much for sharing this with us! One suggestion that I have, however, is labeling that the batter amounts are for one layer, not two. That way no one gets confused (especially ones new to the industry).

Thanks again for sharing this chart.I can tell that it took a lot of time and effort icon_smile.gif

me_mysister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_mysister Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 9:32pm
post #25 of 36

THANK YOU metria!!! I appreciate you going through all that to help all of us out here on CC! thumbs_up.gif

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 10:22pm
post #26 of 36

Not nerdy at all, but GENIUS!!! I've wished there was something like this for a while, but had not idea how to do it. Thanks for your hard work and for sharing!

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 10:37pm
post #27 of 36

omg that chart calculater is awesome....thank you soooo much

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 11:50pm
post #28 of 36

Awesome!!! Thanks so much!!!!

chikadodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chikadodle Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 1:49am
post #29 of 36

Wow, Metria, that is an amazing tool you've created! Thank you so much for your work on that and for making life easier for so many CCers!

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:10am
post #30 of 36

Thanks for all the info. It has really helped

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%