Lost My Chocolate Cake Recipe!!

Baking By tsal Updated 21 Feb 2010 , 3:21pm by Deb_

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:26am
post #1 of 17

hi,

I printed up a recipe to try (someone from CC suggested it and I don't remember whom) and it's gone. I can't find it anywhere. It was for a fool-proof chocolate cake that was suitable for carving. I think I remember that it called for 1.5 cups of freshly brewed coffee.

Maybe this is a longshot, but would anyone have a recipe like this?

My Cake Bible is also mysteriously gone and I've had the flu all week. It can only get better from here!

16 replies
tsal Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:50am
post #2 of 17

Never mind!! After extensive searching on CC, I managed to find a link to the Epicurious recipe I was looking for.

Now for some more cold medecine...

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:23am
post #3 of 17

lol that's the one I was going to suggest to you. It's my best seller!

KerrieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KerrieD Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:50am
post #4 of 17

Could you please let me know where you found that. I too saw that recipe but don't remember where. I need to start printing or saving! Thanks so much. Hope your're feeling better!

KerrieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KerrieD Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 17

Thanks so much tsal!

CMTorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CMTorie Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 17

I would love the recipe too. I just made the chocolate version of the WASC cake using Devils Food mix, and I am not totally excited with the results...the chocolate is just not real chocolate-y, lol.

tsal Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 12:36am
post #8 of 17

That's the one! Thanks for posting, Deb. I'm still under the weather...

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 12:45am
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb_

I just tried this one last week. It tasted awesome but I still had trouble with it baking like I did my original recipe. I can't imagine being able to carve it! What am I doing wrong, Deb? How do you prep your pans? Could that be my problem?

Deb_ Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 1:23am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

Quote:

I just tried this one last week. It tasted awesome but I still had trouble with it baking like I did my original recipe. I can't imagine being able to carve it! What am I doing wrong, Deb? How do you prep your pans? Could that be my problem?

What sort of trouble did you have baking it?

I use shortening to grease my pans and line the bottom with wax paper (which I also grease w/shortening).

Deb_ Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 1:27am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsal

That's the one! Thanks for posting, Deb. I'm still under the weather...

No problem, I hope you feel better soon!

confectionsofahousewife Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:15pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What sort of trouble did you have baking it?

I use shortening to grease my pans and line the bottom with wax paper (which I also grease w/shortening).

I'm not sure I can describe it. It wants to come apart when I take it out of the pan (I prepare the pans just as you do). It gets crispy around the edges and there is a weird bubbly looking area in the middle. My original recipe did the same thing (its very similar to this only yours has fewer eggs so I thought that might help). I had a hard time leveling the layers even after chilling them. What is wrong with me?

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:40pm
post #13 of 17

Confectionsofahousewife, I had problems with the cake crumbling. I mean completely fell apart when I was cutting to serve. However, it had an awesome flavor. I thought it might just be the recipe. But are others able to carve it?

Tsal, sounds like you might want to make some of that coffee for you to drink too icon_biggrin.gif . lol I hope you are on the mend. And are feeling much better now.

Deb_ Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 3:26pm
post #14 of 17

hmmmm that's weird. I get a dense moist cake from this and it bakes up smooth and even to the top of the pan.

Are you baking at 300 degrees as instructed?

confectionsofahousewife Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 5:30pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:

hmmmm that's weird. I get a dense moist cake from this and it bakes up smooth and even to the top of the pan.

300 icon_eek.gif Nope. Obviously failed to read that part! Do you think that could be the problem? I was baking at 325. I was wondering why the instructions said to bake if for an hour! It was definitely moist but did not rise to the top of the pan and just had kind of a funky, uneven texture on the top. And wanted to fall apart when I leveled it. Also, you said you sub butter for the oil. Do you sub equal parts? Do you use melted butter or just room temp? If you use room temp do you add it at the same time the recipe says to add the oil? That's what I did but found it hard to mix it in properly. Maybe its just me. I'm having trouble with my white cake recipe falling apart in the same way too. I'm frustrated and can't figure out how to fix it.

tsal Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 6:28pm
post #16 of 17

Kims_cake - thank you for the kind words! I am feeling better today and am hoping I have finally turned the corner on this thing. If not, I'll be at the doc on Monday!

I think I will have some coffee though... icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 3:21pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:

Quote:

300 icon_eek.gif Nope. Obviously failed to read that part! Do you think that could be the problem? I was baking at 325. I was wondering why the instructions said to bake if for an hour! It was definitely moist but did not rise to the top of the pan and just had kind of a funky, uneven texture on the top. And wanted to fall apart when I leveled it. Also, you said you sub butter for the oil. Do you sub equal parts? Do you use melted butter or just room temp? If you use room temp do you add it at the same time the recipe says to add the oil? That's what I did but found it hard to mix it in properly. Maybe its just me. I'm having trouble with my white cake recipe falling apart in the same way too. I'm frustrated and can't figure out how to fix it.

I would try turning your oven down the next time, it could be part of the problem.

Yes I use 12 T of butter, softened in the microwave but not melted and I add it when the oil is added.

Another important thing is the flour. Are you measuring before or after you sift? For this recipe I measure then sift.

Same with your white cake, notice if it calls for " 2 cups sifted flour" or " 2cups flour sifted", there is a difference in the two and it could effect the outcome of your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%