$200 Power Bill!!?

Decorating By Mug-a-Bug Updated 20 Feb 2010 , 4:18am by Ruth0209

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:33am
post #31 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

....but i also know that here the elec. companies have put up power prices... .....

the cost of electricity is expected to have gone up 40% between 2008 and 2011

gotta love the labour government of NSW tapedshut.gif

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:45am
post #32 of 58

haha im a labor girl to the core. but agreed the state def. isnt in the best state atm. Hopefully our new premier will do better than the last errr.. six? She seems like she may be getting some things done tho...

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:56am
post #33 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsmummy

haha im a labor girl to the core. but agreed the state def. isnt in the best state atm. Hopefully our new premier will do better than the last errr.. six? She seems like she may be getting some things done tho...

im over both parties.... im going to declare the northwest of sydney a independant state and rule it as my own little world. 2nd declaration will be that no hillsongers are allowed to drive on my roads (US people just dont get the driving on the left hand side bit) icon_biggrin.gif

sorry... didnt meant o hijack the thread

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 6:35am
post #34 of 58

haha ohhh the hillsongers are invading the central coast as well...

Lorieann55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorieann55 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 6:36am
post #35 of 58

I about fell over when I opened our last electric bill.... It is $931.56 icon_eek.gif Just over double last month's bill.

Now, I know we've had unusually frigid weather and more than our usual share of snow, but come on, not THAT much!
icon_cry.gif

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 6:56am
post #36 of 58

My bill is always about there and it's just my husband and myself in a 2 bedroom apt.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:31pm
post #37 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorieann55

I about fell over when I opened our last electric bill.... It is $931.56 icon_eek.gif Just over double last month's bill.

Now, I know we've had unusually frigid weather and more than our usual share of snow, but come on, not THAT much!
icon_cry.gif

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:49pm
post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorieann55

icon_cry.gif

that would give me a stroke!!

ShanB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanB Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:14pm
post #39 of 58

My area calculates cost very weird. Every time of day the rates are different. If you use appliance during "peak" hours the cost of electricity is triple or more than if you use them in the middle of the night. Everything in our house is programable so we have laundry turn on at 2am etc.. during the really cheap times.

this coupled with the fact that my part of canada is unusually warm this year and we have had NO snow, (usually we get around 5-8 feet) our bills dropped drastically this year, my BFF actually got a refund from the company because she was paying to much icon_smile.gif

But last year was a different story, I nearly had a heart attack at out bills.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:18pm
post #40 of 58

This will make you all feel better. Two yrs ago a friend lives in Juneau, AK. They had an avalanche that knocked out power to most of the town. To recover costs the avg. bill was between 1800, and 2000 a month.

Mike

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:33pm
post #41 of 58

Check to see if you bill was and estimate or an actual reading. Maybe there was a reason that the meter maid could not get to the meter so they did an estimate of what your meter should read. Ive had this happen before and it was estimated way high. That could explain for the jump in cost.

I would love to have a 200 bill also!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:33pm
post #42 of 58

I have a big commercial oven (Deluxe) and yes, when I'm baking more, up up up goes the price of electric.

icon_sad.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:47pm
post #43 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm with the others who are asking, "What's normal?" We have no idea how to view a $200 bill w/o something to compare it to.

Gosh, I get so frustrated with my friends who like to talk about their doctor visits and they'll tell me their blood count, white cell count, sugar levels, etc. I'm not a doctor. I have none of those problems. I have no idea whether to applaud because they are in great health, or hug them becuase they are about to die! icon_rolleyes.gif

So I always ..... ALWAYS .... have to ask them, "What does that mean? I have no idea whether to applaud because they are in great health, or hug them becuase they are about to die! icon_rolleyes.gif

Goodness, at least give me a reference point!

That is a priceless post - lolllll
I have no idea whether to applaud because they are in great health, or hug them becuase they are about to die! icon_rolleyes.gif -
ROFL.

In the USA & Canada do you all get your utility bills Monthly ? icon_surprised.gif -
ours come in every three Months.

Bluehue.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:15pm
post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-A

i havent seen a household bill in a decade so i had to phone hubby to ask and he says our electricity bill is about $130 per month - we very very rarely ever use our aircon/heater, yes it does get cold down here/we do have a winter but it has to be about 110F before we put the aircon on and almost freezing before the heat - we obviously have no children so prefer to dress for the weather instead of using appliances

we currently looking into installing solar power panels and feeding the excess back into the grid so we can be paid by the electricity companies icon_smile.gif

Do you even get dressed in the summer? I wouldn't even wear clothes if it was 110. Jump out of the shower, brush my teeth and hair, and then just walk around.
During the winter walk around with Huge coats and covered in blankets.
I love air conditioning and heat.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:29pm
post #45 of 58

http://www.dom.com/about/conservation/appliance-calculator.jsp

found one of those calculators in case anyone is curious!

divinedivacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinedivacakes Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:42pm
post #46 of 58

I am in Richmond, VA. We have had unusually cold weather this year and 3 MAJOR SNOW STORMS since December and a couple small ones. I put myself on a budget plan and my electric didn't increase at all during all this. I pay $181 a month all year long. I have water/gas heat ( gas heats the water and the water heats the air - more efficient than gas heat) We run two zones, one up and one downstairs. We heat and cool 2600 sq. feet, a 16 x 32 detached garage, a greenhouse during February March and April and I cook alot. I think you guys are getting ripped off on your electric bills. I do have programmable thermostats and if we are out of town, I turn the heat down to 60 while we are gone. We have had snow on the ground since a week before Christmas! So what happened to global warming? icon_lol.gif

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:07pm
post #47 of 58

The usual for me is $160-$200.

However, it's been cold over here in Miami (Miamians get cold in 50 degree weather!) and during the holidays my bill was $60!!

dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:19pm
post #48 of 58

Wow,My bill was over $800.00 for the last two month's. Sure could do alot of other things with that money. Oh yeah, That's keeping the heat set at 68 degrees and wearing lots of sweaters. Can't imagine what it would be if I actually turned the lights on.

Tracy

VannaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VannaD Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 4:25pm
post #49 of 58

I hate to gloat but my electric bill this month was $79.00, because the A/C has been off!! My gas bill was $200 (heater, water heater, and fireplace), which is super high, because usually its under $80, but compared to you guys bills, Im not complaining at all!

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:12pm
post #50 of 58

WOW! icon_surprised.gif I guess I should just pay my $200 bill with a smile and be glad it's not $400?? I live in Colorado but my bill have never been much more than $100. Last month it was $83. Guess running the oven costs $$$$$. Thanks for all the replies.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:21pm
post #51 of 58

yeah, I just figured out that just baking my cakes is costing me about $500 a year! wonder how much i'm spending with every light on from the kitchen, din. room, liiv. room when I'm up to all hrs. decorating? yikes!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 7:40pm
post #52 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by divinedivacakes

We have had snow on the ground since a week before Christmas! So what happened to global warming? icon_lol.gif

It all went to Toronto icon_rolleyes.gif

ShanB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanB Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 7:58pm
post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinedivacakes

We have had snow on the ground since a week before Christmas! So what happened to global warming? icon_lol.gif

It all went to Toronto icon_rolleyes.gif

LOL ya I have to agree with that, I'm about 1 hour from Toronto and I have shoveled my drive way a grand total of 4 times this year, and one of those didn't really need it, I was bored icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 1:01am
post #54 of 58

I must be the only person who's furnace thermostat is in the kitchen. When the oven is on, the heat doesn't kick on very often. It must even things out because I can't tell the difference from when I'm baking a lot and when I'm not.

No, I have no idea why the previous owners had it installed in the kitchen. It's just another lovely quirk of living in this beast. icon_smile.gif

lilbubsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilbubsgoodies Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:05am
post #55 of 58

i feel bad. and i was barking over my bill bc it went from 20 to 30 dollars this month.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:30am
post #56 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug-a-Bug

Guess running the oven costs $$$$$. Thanks for all the replies.

How big is your oven? Can or do you bake more than one cake at a time? If you can get, for example, 4 cakes in the oven at one time, you've reduced your baking time by 75%.

Do you open the door frequently? THis will increase your baking time. If you use a timer, set it and don't open the door.

It's not just the oven. Do you have an electric water heater (which my understanding is they are more expensive to operate than a gas water heater). Your dishwasher is probably running more, plus the extra hot water, plus (as someone already mentioned above), if you're working late at night, you're running power to the lights, to hte mixer, to the TV or radio that's keeping you company, etc.

Haven't been following the weather in your area, but I know we're keeping our thermostat at a MUCHER higher setting than normal.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:41am
post #57 of 58

OK after much thought I think I've found the reason why our electric bills are so high.........our addiction to Cake Central! icon_razz.gif My poor laptop is working overtime.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 4:18am
post #58 of 58

Whenever I read about utility costs, it reminds me of how happy I am that I live in Idaho. I never spend more than about $75/month for electricity even with A/C in the dead of summer, and my level pay on my gas (which is our heat) is also $75/mo. year round. Our utility costs are famously low here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%