Cake Decorating Class/ Schooling

Business By jsc2010 Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 11:02pm by davespeg

jsc2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsc2010 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 16

I am inquiring about furthering my cake decorating education. I am 40 years old with a husband and 4 kids. I live rural northern michigan area. I have been decorating cakes as a hobby for over 20 years. My skills were limited to birthday cakes. I love to bake. I learned a lot from my mom who did wedding cakes.

Last year I took Wilton courses 1 & 2. I already knew most of what was taught. I just did my first wedding cake, 4 tier stacked just decorated with rosettes. But I would love to further my learning and am considering taking the Wilton Master course in Illinios. But it is 7 hours from my home. I would love to take other classes but most of what I've seen are longer durations.

Does anyone know of any other quick study courses in cake decorating. And has any one taken the Wilton master course and what are your thoughts? I am wanting to start a cake decorating business and possibly a dessert shop. I have so many people asking me to buy my cakes now that they have seen and tasted them.

Would love your comments!
Jane

15 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 16

Check with your local community college, mine offers all kinds of classes in the culinary arts.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 16

if you want to do it as a business, its also worth seeing what business course you can go on.

check you local (or not so local) cake shops - some may offer classes too.
xx

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 16

I have only taken the Wilton courses through Micheal's, so don't have much to offer there. I just wanted to say that I really like your bulldog cake. Sounds like it was a lot of work, but worth it.

me_mysister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_mysister Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 16

Yes, do check your local cake shops. They do offer some courses. Sometimes you have to travel to take classes. Or just do a google search. I sometimes find that I come across some that didn't show up earlier.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 16

Check with Jennifer in Mi, she is on here, and she is from northern MI.

Mike

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 16

Def. take the other Wilton classes, I knew alot about buttercream already but didn't know where to begin on fondant and those classes helped ALOT, also, the cake instructor worked in a bakery so she knew alot about cakes already, things I was scared to try because it looked hard, she helped me alot, and taught me more things than just in the wilton course and has become a good friend and mentor

jsc2010 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 12:52am
post #8 of 16

[quote="Mike1394"]Check with Jennifer in Mi, she is on here, and she is from northern MI.

Do you know her username?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 12:59am
post #9 of 16

[quote="janessweetcreations"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Check with Jennifer in Mi, she is on here, and she is from northern MI.

Do you know her username?

JenniferMi is her user name.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forum-userprofile-62630.html
Mike

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 8:52pm
post #10 of 16

I also agree with taking the other 2 Wiltons courses. Try also checking Meetup.com for cake decorating groups in your area. There's one here in NYC and they have all kinds of pros coming in and doing classes for a lower price for the group.

jsc2010 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 11:52pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks for all the input so far. I am really wanting to take some courses that would actually be good for a resume or to start my own business. I'm tired of feeling like I'm just an amateur because I don't have the "professional" training.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 9:52pm
post #12 of 16

Jen's in Manistee. You might also check Michigan ICES -- we have decorators all over the bloomin place! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 9:54pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by janessweetcreations

Thanks for all the input so far. I am really wanting to take some courses that would actually be good for a resume or to start my own business. I'm tired of feeling like I'm just an amateur because I don't have the "professional" training.

Don't ever feel that way!!!!! Never ever ever ever!!!!! I know of a LOT of world class decorators who never had professional training. In fact I've studied with several of them and every time I've ever asked how they got to be as good as they are, each and every one of them answered exactly the same -- PRACTICE!!! Learn a technique, either by someone showing you, or by the internet or books or videos or however, then work it and make it your own. Don't worry about a certificate to make you good -- I also know of a few decorators who have professional training and quite frankly they can't compare in their work. So don't ever feel that way kiddo!! thumbs_up.gif

jsc2010 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 10:44pm
post #14 of 16

You are too sweet... thank you so much for your kinds words and encouragement! Going to "practice" making MMF tonight!
Thanks. I love CC!!!

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 11:01pm
post #15 of 16

Another great investment is Sharon Zambito's DVD's - AMAZING. www . sugaredproductions . com

davespeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
davespeg Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 11:02pm
post #16 of 16

Since you mentioned starting a business, I would go into the Business forum here on CC and ready EVERYTHING there about starting up. There is a wealth of information and then some. There is more to this than decorating and baking. Know the legal issues in your state and county.

Best of luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%