A Mostly Dummy Wedding Cake - Pricing??

Decorating By prue23 Updated 20 Feb 2010 , 2:13am by LetThereBeCake07

prue23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prue23 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 7

hey everybody I was thinking about people who do wedding cakes where most of the cake is just "for show" and maybe the top tier or 2 tiers are real edible cakes and how u would go about charging somebody for it? I would imagine u won't charge regular price..am I right about that?...so would u just charge for your work?.....just curious...

6 replies
kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 7

Since frosting and decorating 'dummy' cakes takes just as much frosting and time as a regular tier, my charge is the same as the 'real thing'. Just FYI--the dummy itself is not cheap to purchase.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 7

Dummies, 25% less then actual cake price.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by prue23

so would u just charge for your work?.....just curious...

Umm..... this phrase is quite insightful to your line of thinking. YOu make it sound like "your work" is the "nothing" part of making the cake. Actually "your work" is the most expensive part of the cake.

Side story: Hubby has had conversations with co-workers about catering costs in which the person has said, "The food doesn't cost THAT much!", to which hubby replies, "Oh hell! My wife will DONATE the cost of the food! THat's not what you're paying for! You're paying for her time, talent, staff, equipment, delivery, set-up, serving, clean-up, plates, forks, and all the other stuff she provides. Cost of the food? Heck, that's NUTHIN'!!"

"Your Work" is the biggest expense and ergo the biggest part of the bill. I give a 20% discount for dummies. Which means a real cake to serve 100 will cost $350. A dummy cake of the same size will cost $280. PLUS they will have to pay $150 for undecorated sheet cakes to serve 100, so it will cost them $80 MORE for dummies-plus-sheets than it would to just get a real cake to start with.

prue23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prue23 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 7

ok it all sounds really interesting and I really was just curious..... and indydebi i'm sorry if that line read wrong that is not the way I think at all....I'm completely in agreement that the work that goes into decorating and making the cake is the most important, time consuming part of the whole process.... for that sentence maybe it would have helped if I had elaborated more to write if the dummy would have a fee on top of the decorating, I'm not even sure if that makes sense but what u guys have said makes sense.... icon_smile.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 1:54am
post #6 of 7

I charge the same amount for dummy cakes as I do the real thing.

The cost of the dummy (plus shipping sometimes) is pretty much the equivalent of the cost of ingredients for actual cake. It takes the same amount of frosting, decorations and time to decorate a dummy as it does the real cake.

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 2:13am
post #7 of 7

same price. but they get to keep it as a "keepsake" if they want... personally, i think they are a waste. id rather have real cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%