Support For A 3Tiered Stacked Cake?

Decorating By katies_cakes Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 1:54am by ZoesMum

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 6

I am about to attempt my first tiered stacked cake for a friends wedding. (i will make a practice one first) i was wondering how does everyone support their cakes? i have heard about dowling rods but are there any other ways? also i assume you only use one cake board at the bottom of the cake? any help would be great thanks. x

5 replies
cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 6

Check out the sticky on the How Do I? page regarding SPS - it's an incredible system that will save you a lot of grief and frustration!

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:24pm
post #3 of 6

Hi! I had my first 2 stack cake last week and followed everyones advice on here, use SPS system by bakerycraft! worked great! there is a sticky note in forum posts you can go to for instructions, many places sell the plate and leg system also, but you have to order online icon_smile.gif

hope that helps you and good luck!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 6

1 cake board is NOT enough for the bottom of a 3 tiered cake. You need something much stronger. You can use wood, foamcore, cake drums, etc.

sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 6

For support, I use SPS. They work GREAT!
For the bottom, I use cake drums.

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 1:54am
post #6 of 6

For my first three tier cake, I used a thick cake display board for the bottom, then thinner carboard cake boards between each layer. Internal support for the bottom layer was plastic dowels, I used straws for the middle layer, and since I had to transport it I put a sharpened wooden dowel through all three layers (twist and push to get it through the boards in between the layers). It survived many bumpy roads to get to its final destination! Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%