How Do I Get A Glossy Finish On Fondant?

Decorating By kweenofengland Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 3:39pm by kweenofengland

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 7

I have to make a cell phone cake tomorro night and the customer requested a dark blue cell phone with zebra print with a sheen finish! I think I can do everything, but the sheen finish. Seems like someone once told me she used clear vanilla and painted it on the fondant for a shiny finish. Is this true? any help is very much appreciated!

6 replies
CC22504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CC22504 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 7

Piping gel thinned down with clear vanilla or almond. Water works too.

cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:05am
post #3 of 7

This has always worked perfectly for me. Mix 50% vodka and 50% corn syrup. Paint directly onto fondant object. It will be sticky to the touch at first, but after 24 hours, it dries to a shiny finish.

cakewhiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakewhiz Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:10am
post #4 of 7

This has always worked perfectly for me. Mix 50% vodka and 50% corn syrup. Paint directly onto fondant object. It will be sticky to the touch at first, but after 24 hours, it dries to a shiny finish.

tmgarcia_98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmgarcia_98 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:18am
post #5 of 7

I spray a little bit of PAM cooking spray on a plate, then brush it on with a paint brush.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 2:26am
post #6 of 7

Use a steam iron on it and "steam" it. Makes it really glossy without having to paint on it and risk colors bleeding or showing brush strokes.

kweenofengland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kweenofengland Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 7

all very interesting ideas and all very different! thanks! I don't have a steam iron so i guess trying that is out. Does anyone have a picture of something they have done like this?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%