How Do I Carve A Hexagon From A Full Sheet?

Decorating By SugaredUp Updated 18 Feb 2010 , 1:21am by djs328

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 12:47am
post #1 of 5

I need a 12" hexagon, and I know this is a dumb question, but can I carve it from a full sheet and how?

Thanks

4 replies
djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 12:54am
post #2 of 5

I carved an octagon from a 16" square...I remember doing a lot of geometry (UGH!) and I think I ended up making a paper version of the cake pan, folding, cutting, and then using that as a template. Does any of that make sense outside my head?? LOL!

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 12:55am
post #3 of 5

yuck! LOL I wanted it to be easy.

djs328 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 1:04am
post #4 of 5

I thought it would be a piece of cake, too...(ha...ha???) it turned out ok, but I think just maybe start with a 12" square piece of paper, and try folding it in half. I think it was easier to do the octagon than the hexagon, b/c I just basically cut off the corners, and tried to make the sides all the same length. Does it HAVE to be 6 sided? Luckily the one I did, while modeled after a hex., I modified and it worked with an oct. just fine.
Maybe there is a geometry teacher somewhere on here??? LOL!!!!

djs328 Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 1:21am
post #5 of 5

Ok, I think I may have a solution - I don't give up easily, and would not have slept... icon_wink.gif
Take a CIRCLE piece of paper with 12" diameter.
Fold in half. Hold flat on table with curved part toward you.
Fold that in equal thirds by overlapping. (like when you were a kid making a snowflake?)
Now, cut a straight line to remove the curve of the circle, to make a triangle, from one intersection (of the curve and the straight edge) to the other. Should be a hexagon when you open it?

If that doesn't work, maybe read up on geometry on wikipedia? LOOL!!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexagon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%