Wooden Or Plastic Dowels

Decorating By iris219 Updated 17 Feb 2010 , 8:34pm by prterrell

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 7

Can you tell me which dowel would be better to place inside the cakes for stacking? The wooden or plastic? I am making a 2 or 3 tier wedding cake and don't know which one would be best from keeping the one tier from sinking into the other.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

6 replies
aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 7

You could do a search on the forums and get a lot of information on this topic.

I used to use dowels; but, I could never cut them straight, so, I use bubble tea straws. They are pretty sturdy and easy to cut. The only time I use a wooden dowel is to put down the middle of the cake; never for stacking though. I've only used the plastic dowels a couple of times and they were okay, but I totally prefer bubble tea straws. (you can buy them at your local Asian markets or on Ebay)

Leah recommends the SPS system (I think that's right). I hope to get this one day!!

HTH icon_smile.gif

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 7

SPS is what I use for cakes over three tiers OR special circumstances.

Tea straws are for everything else. I don't like sticking pieces of wood into my cake.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 7

Does any one use cake jacks? They are a plastic dowel rods that can be a adjusted to height of the cake, they come in 3", 4" and can be adjusted up to 1 inch over their initial height. I need to try the bubble straws. The cake jacks I know are more pricier than the straws and dowel rods. I love them because I don't have to cut or clip anything.
Hamsquad

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 7

I use both plastic and wooden, whatever is on sale. I am afraid to use bubble tea straws on cakes that are being transported. (I use bubble tea straws for tiered cakes at home)

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:25pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundron

Leah recommends the SPS system HTH icon_smile.gif

Did a search and found the thread. Wish I saw that before, don't think I can order in time for me to try this out. I have the wedding cake to make next weekend.

Thank you.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 7

SPS

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%