Freezing Royal Icing Transfer??

Decorating By countrygal Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 9:20pm by TexasSugar

countrygal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrygal Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 1:43am
post #1 of 10

So...i've never done this before. The icing is easy to make but getting it to just the right consistency is hard. LOL The first part of the transfer was so hard my hand was clenched and shaking trying to get it out. (even though it didn't feel that hard.) The rest went better. It's for my mom's cake but more of a test to see how it does...and i'm gonna make a high heel with RI if it works.

But my question is: Can you stick it in the freezer to harden?? I stuck it in a container and it went from crusty to soft.

**I'll post a photo as soon as my cameras battery recharges. icon_razz.gif

9 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 10

Royal icing may "harden" slightly in the freezer, but it's still malleable and not at all like a buttercream transfer. As soon as you take it out of the freezer, it will go all runny and sticky again.

It probably didn't harden in your container either because it needs to be exposed to air in order to crust and dry out. That takes 12-24 hours to accomplish.

Why not just ice a high heeled shoe cookie in royal icing instead? I did a cake like that a few years ago, super simple. When it's dry, you can lay it down flat, prop it up a little or even use it as a stand-up topper...PLUS you can eat it. icon_lol.gif
LL

countrygal Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks. Momma put a dish towel over the container and it seems to be hardening okay.

here is what it looks like.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 10

Do you still have icing left over? When is the cake due?

When you outline, you do not want your icing so thick that it hurts to squeeze. There is a fine line in there. Just add a drop of water at a time until you get a good consistancy. I've been known to put it in a bag then take it back out to add more water to it. If it is killing your hand to pipe it is too thick to come out of the small tips. Also when working with small tips use a smaller amount of icing in your bag. It will make piping easier.

To judge the consistancy for the fill in icing, I liken it to Elmer's glue. I like visuals when doing things like this. You want to flow easily and settle flat. If it doesn't settle flat it is still a little two thick.

For the picture above, what I probably would have done was outlined in the green then flooded the green section with the thinner icing, then after that sits for a little while flood in the white section. When using darker colors for outlining it helps keep them from bleeding if you let them harden some before filling in.

Once the piece was dry I would have come back and piped the words in a medium sized round tip.

As far as the drying issue, as was said above it needs air to dry. Depending on the size and your humidity I'd say 12-48 hours. You can also quick dry them by putting them under a desk lamp or in the oven with just the oven light on. You will still need atleast 6-8 hours and then again maybe more depending on the size.

For the Krispy Kreme, I may have gone for the FBCT on it. I think unless you piped the words on top of the royal icing piece after dry, the FBCT would help give you crisper letters. It is hard to get that icing around in small places in the royal icing pieces.

Now if your high heel shoe is a pretty simple design/outline, it should work fine in the royal icing.

If you have icing already made up, why not dry it out and see.

countrygal Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 10

Hi TexasSugar! Yeah I took the red icing back out of the bag and put a little more water in. Did the same for the green. (which was a lot easier still than the red) and the white was like melted marshmellow. But it didn't flow into the space I had to gentle ease it into place with a little yellow scraper. (it came from those $1 black cards that you scrape and a colorful design shows up.)

The high heel I need by Sunday. It's a pretty simple design out of a coloring book. But i might look at Michael's tomorrow for a high heel cookie cutter.

I have just a little bit of icing left, not really much to play with but was saving it to "glue" onto the cake.

Will remember the advice, thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 10

If your icing didn't flow into place and level out on it's own it was still too thick. Another way to tell is to take a spoon of it and drop it back into the bowl of icing and count to 10. If by the time you get to ten you can't tell you dropped any icing in it and the icing is smooth it is a good flooding consistancy. If you get to ten and there is still ripples, you need to add some more water. A drop at a time.

Sometimes when trying to get into little spaces I will use a tooth pic or a corsage pin.

I'm pretty sure you won't find a High Heel cookie cutter at Michaels. I've never seen one there, and most of the cutters they have are very small.

I'd say with a coloring book page design, to give the royal icing another try. Go ahead and make a couple of them tomorrow, if you get a chance.

countrygal Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 12:07am
post #7 of 10

It's my mom's birthday tomorrow so I'll be busy with frosting and decorating her cake...going out to eat and shopping. Only day I'll have to really practice is Saturday.

TexasSugar Posted 18 Feb 2010 , 12:29am
post #8 of 10

If you do it Saturday I'd start early and place it under the desk lamp. Other wise it is going to need at least 24 hours to dry just sitting out, again maybe more if it is a big piece. You want these very dry before trying to remove them from the backing.

Make extra in case of breakage, and have a back up plan just incase. I've dried some over night (meaning 8-12 hours) in the oven with just the light on. But if I was doing a cake for Sunday doing something new, I wouldn't wait until Saturday night to make the piece. Just my opinion.

Another option is the FBCT and the Chocolate Transfers. So keep those in mind. Neither need the drying time that the royal icing will need.

countrygal Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 10

Well I did the FBCT for the lady's cake. I have to say buttercream is a LOT easier to work with...and it tastes better. lol icon_biggrin.gif

Here is the cake.

My friend said that the lady and her daughter loved it! Everyone else at their church also loved it and kept asking Tabitha who I was. icon_cool.gif Tab called me earlier asking if I could do another cake for this wednesday for a girl at her church.

I'm becoming quite popular. icon_redface.gif I don't even think I'm that good!

TexasSugar Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 10

Looks good! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%