Help! Why Does My Buttercream Taste Like Crisco?

Baking By marion123 Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 3:45pm by marion123

marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 18

I'm making the Wilton Buttercream and it taste like the Crisco.. I;m doing everything right? I made 3 batches, anythuing I can do to save it? It isn't sweet at all, it taste like Cricos w. that greasy taste after...
Does Vanilla Xtraxt go bad? HELP!!

17 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 10:56pm
post #2 of 18

Wilton has more than one recipe. How much sugar are you putting in?

marion123 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 10:58pm
post #3 of 18

I'm using this one:

I box of conf, sugar
1 stick of crisco
1 teaspooon of vanilla xtract
2 tablespoons of water & salt mix

thanks for helping.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 18

I think you need more sugar and vanilla. I just add and taste. I like to use 1/2 cup of crisco and 1/2 of butter myself. But if you are wanting a white one you can't get it with the butter in it.

Just add a 1/2 to 1 cup of ps at a time until you get the correct taste. You may have to add more water along to get the right consistency though.

Ladyfish74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyfish74 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 18

I also use half butter and half shortening for my buttercream. Much better taste and no greasy aftertaste. If you need a white-white frosting that doesn't taste like shortening, try indydebi's crisco buttercream. It's white and doesn't taste greasy. It also holds up really well in heat--which isn't a problem right now I know--lol--but summer's comin'.

marion123 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:26pm
post #6 of 18

hi ladies.. thanks so much for your help.. I added more PS and vanilla and I can still taste it.. I think I'm going to toss it and try Indy Deb's.. (which I hate to throw away $$) but it is for a very good freind's hubby's surprise 40th and I am making 150 cupcakes, so I want everything to be perfect..

Has this ever happen to you guys where you made somehting and you had to toss it casue of the taste?

Christen99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christen99 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 18

Hi ratio shortening doesn't leave the greasy aftertaste in your mouth. You also might need to let your buttercream blend a bit more. I really blend my shortening before adding the powdered sugar (like 10-15 minutes).

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 18

Couple thoughts before you toss it. Could you take a small amount, add in some butter and butter flavor, them some more p sugar and see if it is better? Or even add just some butter flavor to a small amount? I think the butter and/or flavoring really add to the taste. Another thought is to have someone else taste it. If this is the recipe you have used before maybe your taste buds are off? Denette

marion123 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 18

I already started to wash my mixing bowls, I will try it again when they come out of the dishwasher.
thanks so much

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:04am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by marion123

I'm using this one:

I box of conf, sugar
1 stick of crisco

thanks for helping.

Slightly off topic, and I'm sure you copied the recipe as you saw it written, but this is what bugs me about recipe writing.....

How big is one "box" of sugar?
How much is a "stick" of crisco?
water and salt mix? Is there a ratio to that? 1.5 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp of water? vice versa?

I use a ratio of 1-1/3 cups of fat (crisco) to 2 lbs of p.sugar. I've made icings that used more crisco and I agree ... it's disgusting.

When I read the subject line, the thought that went thru my head was "you're using too much crisco and/or not enough sugar".

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:40am
post #11 of 18

I also use butter and crisco but add loranns flavor to it. Good luck hope someone can help you a little more.

add more sugar and your favorite flavor (almond, butter, lemon etc.)

Ladyfish74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyfish74 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 3:35am
post #12 of 18

Yes, as a matter of fact, just this morning. I was trying a new recipe for sugar free bran muffins and thought I would add some mapeline flavoring to the mix after I creamed the butter and sugar substitute together. BIG MISTAKE. The mapeline hit the mixture and all the sugar substitute wadded up into a big, gooey, brown ball. I had to throw it out and start over.

Sometimes it's best to just start over to be sure that it comes out right...especially when it's for something important. I added the mapeline last the second time and they came out fabulous! Just think of this as an experience that may have led you to a better frosting recipe! I also agree that high ratio shortening makes better frosting but it's so danged expensive unless you buy it in bulk and even then, it's not as cheap as good ol' Crisco.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:50am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Of course it tastes like Crisco! What did you expect it to taste like, butter?

Yep

WendyB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyB Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 7:29pm
post #14 of 18

If I make an all crisco batch I always include butter flavor extract.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:10pm
post #15 of 18

Add in the butter extract before you toss that batch out. Also if it isn't sweet enough for you, leave out the salt. It actually is suppose to cut the sweetness.

If you want to you can also add in some almond extact. It will add to the taste as well.

And you will want to add a little more water if you are making something other than roses with that icing. icon_smile.gif

Indy, that pretty much looks like Wilton's recipe (which I use all the time.) So I'm guessing, 1 box is 1lb of sugar. One stick of crisco is 1 cup, (which I know you use less of.)

I'm bad about those kinds of measurements for things I learned to cook from my mom. I know it isn't very good for perserving recipes, but then those are the ones we tend not to right down too much either.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:32pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by marion123

I'm using this one:

I box of conf, sugar
1 stick of crisco

thanks for helping.

So is that 4 cups of confectioner's sugar? and 1 cup of Crisco? Try using unsalted butter (not margarine) instead of the Crisco.

marion123 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 8:39pm
post #17 of 18

I tried to add more vanilla xtract and it still tasted so greasy.. yuck.. I ended up just tossing it and I printed IndyDeb's receipe and I'm going to make her's tonight..
I'll let you know how everything turns out..

Thank so much!

marion123 Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 3:45pm
post #18 of 18

Well, I have offically thrown out my Wilton Buttercream recipe and I will be using IndiDeb's from now on... It tasted much better and fluffy.. No greasy aftertaste..
The cupcakes looks really great and I feel much better about the buttercream..
Thank you all of you for your help and post..
Hope you have a great weekend!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%