Coffee Cake Recipe

Lounge By EatSomeCake Updated 19 Feb 2010 , 11:45am by crazyladybaker

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 5

Does anyone have a good one they'd be willing to share? Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 5

I'll PM mine. I love it.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:38am
post #3 of 5

This is delicious!

Sour Cream Coffee Cake

Streusel Filling and Topping:

In a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine until nuts are coarsely chopped:
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 T. sugar
1 cups pecans or walnuts
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
Reserve 3/4 cups to use as filling.

To the remaining streusel, add:
1/2 cup cake flour
4 T. softened butter
1/2 t. vanilla
Pulse briefly to form a coarse, crumbly mixture for the topping.

Cake Batter:
In a small bowl, combine
a quarter of 2/3 cup of sour cream
4 egg yolks
1 1/2 t. vanilla
Set aside.

In a large bowl combine these dry ingredients and mix on low speed to blend.:
2 cups sifted cake flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
Add and mix until moistened:
remainder of the 2/3 c. sour cream
12 T. softened butter (1 1/2 sticks)

Increase speed of mixer to medium and beat for 2 minutes. Scrape down sides. Gradually add reserved sour cream/egg mixture in 3 batches, beating for 20 seconds after each addition. Scrape down sides.

Grease a 9 inch spring form pan. To make it easier to remove cake, line bottom of pan with wax paper and grease wax paper. Spread bottom of pan with 2/3 of cake batter. Smooth. Sprinkle with filling streusel.

If desired, top filling streusel with a thinly sliced Granny Smith apple (1 heaping cup of slices, about 1/4 inch thick). Drop reserved batter in large blobs over the fruit and spread evenly. Sprinkle with the streusel topping mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 55-65 minutes or until cake tester inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean and the cake springs back when touched lightly in center. If cake browns too quickly, cover with foil after 45 minutes of baking.

Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes. Loosen cake from pan with a small metal spatula and remove the side of the spring form pan. Cool completely before attempting to remove cake from bottom of pan. Cake freezes well.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:39am
post #4 of 5

I also LOVE this:
New York Crumb Cake

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray an 8 inch pan with non stick spray and line with parchment paper, leaving excess overhanging sides to use as "handles" to lift out the cake after it's baked.

Whisk 1/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1 t. cinnamon, and 1/8 t. salt in bowl. Stir in 1 stick melted, unsalted butter, still warm. With spatula, stir in 1 3/4 cups cake flour (do not substitute all purpose flour in this cake), until it forms a thick dough. Set aside.

In the bowl of a standing mixer, mix 1 1/4 cups cake flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 t. baking soda, and 1/4 t. salt. With mixer on low, add 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until mixture resembles moist crumbs with no visible chunks of butter. Add 1 egg, 1 egg yolk, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/3 cup buttermilk. Beat until light and fluffy.

Transfer batter to baking pan, spreading evenly. Break crumb topping into pea sized pieces and spread over batter, beginning with edges and moving towards center. Bake until golden and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool on rack for 30 minutes and then use parchment to lift cake out of pan. Dust with powdered sugar or drizzle with glaze before serving. Recipe may be doubled to use 9 x 13 inch pan, baking approx. 45 minutes.

crazyladybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazyladybaker Posted 19 Feb 2010 , 11:45am
post #5 of 5

mmmmmmmmm, these sound wonderful. I wish I would have read this a little earlier and I would have tried it this morning.
But, alas it's too late and we will have oatmeal again icon_smile.gif

Maybe coffee cake will be on the weekend menu.
thanks for sharing them

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%