Can You Make Your Own Airbrush Color?

Decorating By montanamommy Updated 28 Jul 2017 , 9:47pm by nanavymom

montanamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanamommy Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:57pm
post #1 of 13

Can you use regular paste or gel food coloring & thin it down for use in an airbrush or does one just have to break down and buy airbrush color?

Thanks,
Andrea

12 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 13

personally, i would break down and buy amerimist, i just dont like dealing with clogs. you might want to give this place a try. it is one of the places i buy my colors...

http://www.americolor.org/70_oz_AmeriColor_Amerimist_Color_s/25.htm

if you decide to make your own or find a method to keep from clogging PLEASE let me know. I am all for saving money. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 13

I use airbrush color. I can never get color pastes completely dissolved and the lumps would clog the airbrush.

I also use the airbrush colors for painting as well.

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 13

Yes I use vodka (the cheapest one) to dissolve my gel food colors and never had a problem.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 13

This is a little late in coming but how much do you put in? How thin do you make it?

Mark-Mexicano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mark-Mexicano Posted 16 May 2011 , 2:45pm
post #6 of 13

I use gel color and vodka as well. It may take a bit to get the coloring to completely dissolve. I use a small paint brush to work the coloring into the vodka. The amount completely depends on how deep you want the color.

Balicup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Balicup Posted 16 Jan 2015 , 12:43am
post #7 of 13

ACan Bacardi be used instead of vodka to thin gel colour for airbrushing?

misabel99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misabel99 Posted 19 Jan 2015 , 4:33am
post #8 of 13

ANo barcadi will affect the color because it's dark

badassbakerbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badassbakerbabe Posted 30 Jan 2016 , 5:49pm
post #9 of 13

Hey! 

Has anyone done any more experimenting with the vodka/gel colours as airbrush colours? Does anyone have any photos/videos? 

Thanks!

Welsh4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Welsh4life Posted 21 May 2016 , 3:51am
post #10 of 13

Worked like a charm!  Thanks.  I usually use the airbrush paint, but was out of maroon and needed to make some at 11pm.  This worked perfectly thanks.

Miss.Reynolds Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miss.Reynolds Posted 8 Jul 2016 , 6:32pm
post #11 of 13

I am sooo late on this reply but I wanted to add something. Wilton has given me the MOST none clogging airbrush paint ever! I know people are a little hung up on Wilton products here on CC but I  like to buy their gel food colors because of the pricing they have at my local Walmart. I dilute about 1/4 tsp of Wilton Gel food coloring in a little more than an 1/8th of a cup of vodka, but less than a 1/4th cup. Then I STIR STIR STIR! I find it easier to use two toothpicks together and stir like a mad man! :) I have used this on the book in my pictures as well as the shoe box black on the converse cake. One time I thought I was buying an Amerimist airbrush color and it ended up being the food gel color. I thought "what the heck I'll just dilute it. . " But it did not come out smooth and lump free like the Wilton Brand. I hope this helps a money saver in need like myself grinning.png

RubyFaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubyFaye Posted 21 Jan 2017 , 9:41pm
post #12 of 13

So happy to find this and have vodka on hand - a lifesaver!  Thanks!

nanavymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanavymom Posted 28 Jul 2017 , 9:47pm
post #13 of 13

Would Everclear also work for this method? I was thinking of using the ColorRight food color from Wilton. Not sure what the best ratios would be since it is very concentrated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%