At Home Bakers...

Decorating By Rachie204 Updated 4 Mar 2010 , 1:23pm by jayne1873

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 30

Just curious how many of you at home bakers do only...or mostly wedding cakes.

29 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:36pm
post #2 of 30

i rarely do birthday cakes and turn them down all the time, i would rather do 15 wedding cakes in one day then a birthday cake. the only bd cakes i have done have been for family. it is just my personal preferance. I love doing wedding cakes.

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 30

Thanks tesso....I am thinking that is the route I would like to see myself take one day. I am sure as I start out I will do lots of birthday cakes but I really have a passion for weddings. Thanks again for sharing.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 30

Right now I do b'day cakes, but my goal is to go to more large party & wedding cakes. Right now I am still trying to get my customer base up so b'day cakes, cuppies, cookies, etc. for me!

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 30

During the winter I do quite a few party cakes, but the summer is almost exclusively wedding cakes.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:10pm
post #6 of 30

Not a home baker, but I prefer weddings. The money is so much better.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:56pm
post #7 of 30

I'm just starting out but I'm trying to do only weddings. They pay so much better and I feel like I'm not wasting a lot of my time. However, this does mean that I haven't had any business for a few months, which is ok with me. My summer is getting booked and the word about me and my cakes is spreading so next summer should be pretty busy, plus I will be upping my prices a decent amount so I'll be making more money. Whenever I do small cakes I feel like I'm putting in so much work for not much profit. I don't enjoy doing those very much.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 9:57pm
post #8 of 30

They are technically birthday cakes, but the budget and syle are weddingish. In fact, any birthday cake I did would be at least be a $100, seeing as I have a price minimum.

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 10:16pm
post #9 of 30

I just do birthday, I've done 1 wedding cake and it was soooo stressful. Maybe one day I'll get to the point where I do weddings only, but I will need a confidence boost.

The woman who did my wedding cake was a former neighbor who did all the birthday, 1st communion etc. cakes for the neighborhood when I was younger. When I got married 5 years ago she said she was only doing wedding cakes.

JTBRESSLER Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JTBRESSLER Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 10:34pm
post #10 of 30

I do both. I find that birthday cakes are a quick and easy way to network to 10-40 people at a time, I always send business cards. Seems like every three birthday cakes I do results in a large event referral or a wedding cake. Birthday cakes are also a good way to work in new techniques. icon_biggrin.gif

Mark-Mexicano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mark-Mexicano Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:43pm
post #11 of 30

I do both , I offer birthday cakes for people just wanting a small simple cake and not have to go to the grocery store for a crappy cake or pay a minimum of 100 dollars in most bakeries. And if I can fill, ice, and decorate a simple basic cake in 30 min its not as stressful as doing a wedding cake. But I do prefer doing wedding and tiered cakes cause there more unique and have that wow factor but I cant do 10 wedding cakes in one weekend like I can with basic cakes. So i think its good to have a variety...... Ill take what ever comes my way.

Mark Mexicano

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:51pm
post #12 of 30

I do mainly wedding cakes, but I'll do birthday cakes if they're for previous wedding cake clients, or if they're larger or 3-D. If someone calls me for a sheet cake they're usually looking for an $18 cake, which isn't what I do icon_twisted.gif

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:54pm
post #13 of 30

Technically NOT an at home baker. Studio is attached to home, but since the whole place is a former business anyways and the entire block is zoned commercial....ok, so:

Really, a cake is a cake. So a certain person happens to be wearing a poofy white dress at the party...ok, big deal. But either way, I don't make anything that doesn't take hours and hours. Party=hours and hours. Wedding=hours and hours.

Janran Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janran Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 11:58pm
post #14 of 30

I prefer wedding cakes but do birthday as well. Usually its for friends but for non friends I charge at least $100. I figure if they think I am too expensive then I just saved myself some time and stress!

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 12:37am
post #15 of 30

When I first started making cakes a couple years ago, all I did was birthday cakes. They ranged from $20 - $40 per cakes, with only a few wedding cakes tossed into the mix. I worked 45 to 50 hours a week as a Corporate Accountant, then rushing home to make cakes. I was pushing out 2 to 3 cakes a week and quickly burned out after a year. (Luckily, I lasted long enough to re-coop the 2.5K I had spent on all my pans and cake supplies). So, I quit for a while, and have only just recently started feeling the bug again. I love creating something that people get so excited over, but this time Im going to stick to doing wedding cakes, 3D cakes, and specialty cakes. Im not even going to open my oven for less than $75.00. I really enjoy doing 3D cakes best, but wedding cakes are a close second.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 2:26am
post #16 of 30

Not a home baker but....

Cake is cake ,I charge the same regardless why it is served, but I prefer to make birthday cakes.

They are just more my style and the themes are funner.

I agree the money would be better with a 200 serving wedding cake but my average price per cake is $200.00 something and I'm ok with that.

I get to make cakes I enjoy.

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 5:21pm
post #17 of 30

I'm still trying to get my name out there and bring in business so I am taking anything and everything cake related (birthdays, anniversaries, baptisms, weddings, etc). I've been doing this as a home business for a year now and it's still slow going for me.

surgery2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surgery2 Posted 17 Feb 2010 , 6:57pm
post #18 of 30

I do roughly $1500 a week in cakebusiness, some are weddings, usually around 2 weddings a week then some higher end birthday cakes ($200 ea), average cost of wedding cakes around here are $2-$3 a slice, if that puts into perspective my business average a week

gr8cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8cakemaker Posted 1 Mar 2010 , 3:01pm
post #19 of 30

I have been a home-based baker for over two years now. I have actuall only done one wedding cake. I do a ton of birthday cakes. I dont mind it although I would like to get into doing wedding cakes more. Business is so slow, Im just happy when I get a call for a cake order anyway.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 5:57pm
post #20 of 30

HOW do you get your clients? I also work from home and would like to do more wedding cakes than birthday and baby shower cakes.... but don't now how to let the word out that I exsist and make wedding cakes....

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 6:13pm
post #21 of 30

Birthdays during winter, wedding cakes during the summer. Thats just how it is around here I guess. Its been a slow season though. Slower than normal.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 6:22pm
post #22 of 30

what about seeing if you can attend a wedding show-there's usually something coming up in the spring-have a booth, make fake cakes, maybe some cookies and a small sampling of popular flavours you offer along with your portfolio of course. you can hand out cards or a pamplet with what you offer that's unique, maybe have a draw for a small event cake (10" simple cake). i love doing cakes and i find if someone wants unique or to match a theme or tiered i get a call. now i have a lot of regular clients as well and word gets around. hope that helps. and i agree that cake is cake no matter if it's for a wedding or not-i put in the same amount of time and stress- i want it all to be perfect

RetiredNavyChief Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RetiredNavyChief Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 8:13pm
post #23 of 30

I do mostly BD cakes and other types, I just recently booked 2 wedding cakes this summer. I agree the wedding cakes are where the money is, but right now any cake i do is practice. I also work 40 hours a week as a Human Resources Manager and have to do the cakes in the evening. Since i just started I have over 2,500 in tools, and accessories and just now started making more money on the cakes. I have a min. starting price which has helped in getting what the cakes are worth.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 8:31pm
post #24 of 30

I'm trying to get more wedding cakes...I have alot of competition in my area with the caterers and other cake shops but I do get a few, and lots of party cakes. Trying to push for more weddings.

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 2 Mar 2010 , 9:19pm
post #25 of 30

Kitagrl, your cakes are AMAZING ! You should be so proud ! Your website is awsome too. If you dont have tons of business now , you will soon !

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 12:36am
post #26 of 30

I started out only doing birthday cakes and not doing weddings or really large events. I am glad I did. I have learned so many different techniques and even stacking techniques through the 100's of birthday/shower/etc cakes. I am now adding some weddings and feel much more confident about it!

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:16am
post #27 of 30

Have done alot of sculpted/birthday cakes but really narrowing it down to mostly weddings now. Most of my schedule this year is wedding cakes and sculpted grooms cakes to along with them.

I have a $120 minimum so I am out of a lot of birthday budgets icon_smile.gif

redheadfairy2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redheadfairy2003 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 2:31am
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTBRESSLER

I do both. I find that birthday cakes are a quick and easy way to network to 10-40 people at a time, I always send business cards. Seems like every three birthday cakes I do results in a large event referral or a wedding cake. Birthday cakes are also a good way to work in new techniques. icon_biggrin.gif

I agree ! But I also have a minimum price for birthday cakes

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 4:56am
post #29 of 30

I only want to do baby showers or birthdays. No desire of dealing with wedding cakes or Bridezillas or any wedding related stress. DH says I'll change my mind if the price was right but if it's not fun for me to do then no price is right.

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 4 Mar 2010 , 1:23pm
post #30 of 30

I started making cakes a year ago last Sept and only started selling them in August last year. I work 4 days a week and then do cakes. I have only had birthdays, christenings so far however I do have one wedding booked for Oct but a very simple cake with just ribbon round the tiers and a bride & groom plonked on top so v cheap esp as its my first!
Am planning on doing a local fete for a friend with a 'guess the weight of the cake' stall and will have leaflets to give out. Am also planning on making soem dummies and getting some leaflets together and doing wedding fayres next year so heres hoping however I think starting off on bdays is def much less stress although you should have seen me before someone came to collect a cake the other week stressing they wouldnt like it lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%