!st Time Covering Cake With Fon. ?'s About Ganache

Decorating By yummy Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 5:46pm by yummy

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 3

My first time covering a cake with fondant and making ganache. I'm making a vanilla bean cake with a layer of raspberry (from sleeve) and layer of vanilla bc filling. Customer likes chocolate cake but doesn't really care for any type of chocolate filling or icing.

Since this is my first fondant covered cake, I read the post on ganache underneath and definately will be trying this instead of bc. I'm going to make white chocolate ganache but want to add a bit of raspberry flavor to it ( y'all know we love this combo). Should I use Lorann's flavor, extracts (I think I can find raspberry from Mccormicks) liqueor (sp?) or candy flavoring? How much to add so as not to overpower the wc?

Also, I know that a thin layer of apricot preserves is brushed on the set ganache so that the fondant can stick. Do you taste it at all; I figure you probably don't notice since it's so little of it? Why apricot preserves (I always hear about using apricot pres. for one thing or another) Can this step be done with the raspberry filling that I'm using from the sleeve. TIA

Yummy

2 replies
jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 3

Apricot preserves is used a lot since it has a neutral/subtle taste that won't compete with other flavors in your cake. In addition, it is usually very light in color so it won't show under fondant or when you are using it as a glaze. I wouldn't recommend using raspberry filling, but if you do want to use it, make sure you brush it on very thin. You could even thin it out with a little water.

By the way, when I use ganache under fondant, I just brush or spray it with a little water. It works like a charm.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you jm531. I kind of figured it had something to do with the lightness in color but wasn't sure about the flavor. My mother use to bring home these thin, already sliced four layer (wedding cake size) pieces of cake one was a cake with mocha filling and the other had apricot filling with a strip of apricot glaze on top. I don't remember what it taste like but I know it was delicious. I always referred to that cake as peach melba ( I was a kid and probably thought that because it was peach in color that's what it was)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%