No Filling In A Torted Cake?

Decorating By KristyCakes Updated 16 Feb 2010 , 3:52pm by -Tubbs

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:20am
post #1 of 7

I torte and fill all of my cakes. I've never had this request before, but a customer wants one tier to have no filling. Has anyone had this request before? Should I put a very thin layer of buttercream between each layer just to hold them in place? Thanks in advance!

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:23am
post #2 of 7

You have to stick the 2 layers together with something--buttercream, preserves.....but I wouldn't want to eat the pieces of cake that come from that tier icon_confused.gif

Rae

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:26am
post #3 of 7

Ask him what he means by "filling." I find that a lot of people who tell me that they don't want filling are talking about sleeved fillings, and once they see what I use (not sleeved filligns!) they're fine with it. You could also just tell him that you have to put something in the cake, maybe just a vanilla buttercream or somthing else neutral-flavored.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:33am
post #4 of 7

I'll check with them tomorrow for sure. They want one tier buttercream, one tier raspberry and one with nothing... so I'll insist on something. I appreciate the advice!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 7

I get that request ALL the time and basically it means they don't want to pay any extra. I let them know if they don't choose a "filling" the cakes are automatically filled with vanilla buttercream and there is no additional charge for that!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 7

I'd tell them there has to be something between the cake layers for stabilty issues. Some people hear filling and think fruits and such, and by saying no filling they mean just buttercream. But since you said they already requestioned one tier buttercream then I don't know.

If they insist on no filling then I'd see about a 3in tall cake pan and just bake a solid 3in layer of cake. But oh man, how boring and what will the wedding guest think when some get yummy stuff between their cakes and others get a hunk of cake.

If you don't want to go the 3in tall cake, then just tell them that I'm sorry but there has to be something between the two cake layers for stabiltiy, and they can pick it or you will pick it for them. icon_smile.gif

Remember, you are the cake person here, and you know what will and will not work.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 16 Feb 2010 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 7

A fruit cake would not have filling - offer them that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%